What's in a Field?

2 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

For more corps and more events to equal more revenue, there would need to be more fans or existing fans would have to go to additional shows during the season. increasing supply would not necessarily create more demand. 

More corps equals more MMs equals more family/friends.

More shows equals more access in more places for more family/friends/fans to spend more money.

We need more corps to have more shows.  Anything else is just smoke and mirrors to the income statement (like recently quoting revenue while leaving out attendance so the fact that revenue is up ONLY because of ticket price increases is less obvious, and the fact that attendance is down is hidden completely (except to those who ask)).

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Now you are speaking my language.

Now you are speaking their language.

Oh, if only people piloting the DCI strategic plan could make the same connection you just did.

Well, those people crafting the Strategic Plan have a WHOLE set of pressures I don't have sitting anonymously behind my keyboard.

Also, I'm agnostic as to which corps do and don't survive (despite my favorites) A member corps director doesn't have that luxury and, instead, is going to do everything possible to assure his/her corps survives.  "So, THAT'S why it's a good idea to have 'at-large' BoD members with a passion for the activity and with a loud voice in the debate and the power to act on it just as the voting member corps are?  Huh!".

Tough to get there from a director's perspective, I'd bet.

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

More shows equals more access in more places for more family/friends/fans to spend more money.

We need more corps to have more shows.  Anything else is just smoke and mirrors to the income statement (like recently quoting revenue while leaving out attendance so the fact that revenue is up ONLY because of ticket price increases is less obvious, and the fact that attendance is down is hidden completely (except to those who ask)).

If attendance is down, then that needs to be addressed. Personally, I think the key lies in making shows more enjoyable to the butts in the seats rather than the guys and gals wearing the polos carrying the clipboards / iPads. I think it would be good to have more corps rather than fewer, but if you're depending on revenue from the new corps' family and friends, you're basically spreading more money, but individual corps get about the same as they're now earning. 

31 minutes ago, garfield said:

Yes, I'm pretty sure they are ready to have these discussions.  If we treat it like a math equation:

Shows x corps = revenue

If we increase the shows and not the corps, you kill the corps.  BD is not going to let DCI tell them they need to do a show that they don't want, or can't justify, going to regardless of DCI's scheduling quandary.  And all the corps are more focused now on member experience and the ultimate is to do only 20 shows a season and stay in hotels the whole tour.

If we increase the corps we can increase the number of shows without overtaxing any of them, and still increase revenue.

that doesn't seem to be the vibe i'm getting. 

27 minutes ago, garfield said:

If DCI's PRIMARY mission is an event-planner, then the member corps' PRIMARY mission is to keep those cut kids in the activity, marching, and involved.  The corps have not done a good job of that to my eye even as the member experience "down-corps" is at the highest it's ever been to my eye.

i agree here, however the over emphasis on placement and the perks tied to it don't help achieve this.

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i agree here, however the over emphasis on placement and the perks tied to it don't help achieve this.

Isn't an emphasis on placement really a function of what's being rewarded?

Of course and always: "To the victors go the spoils".

8 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

If attendance is down, then that needs to be addressed. Personally, I think the key lies in making shows more enjoyable to the butts in the seats rather than the guys and gals wearing the polos carrying the clipboards / iPads. I think it would be good to have more corps rather than fewer, but if you're depending on revenue from the new corps' family and friends, you're basically spreading more money, but individual corps get about the same as they're now earning

There's not a fan "Applause-O-Meter".  Can't really find a way to judge fan appeal other than applause and standing-O's (anyone notice how rare standing-Os are in today's design?).  The judges decide and design rules around what the member corps want.

Edited by garfield
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, garfield said:

Well we have a new corps (Carolina Gold) that wants to come in but have to wait until a few weeks before the season starts to see if they are approved.

Sounds like Catch 22 to me, you need be approved to help your recruiting but can’t be approved until you have enough recruiting to have a good sized corps. 

DCI needs to study how to be more new corps friendly. And I don’t mean have sound sport and hope for the best

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well we have a new corps (Carolina Gold) that wants to come in but have to wait until a few weeks before the season starts to see if they are approved.

Sounds like Catch 22 to me, you need be approved to help your recruiting but can’t be approved until you have enough recruiting to have a good sized corps. 

DCI needs to study how to be more new corps friendly. And I don’t mean have sound sport and hope for the best

It's not nefarious, it's just a hard floor minimum.  In this context the only solution is to lower the minimum to solve what you see as a catch-22. 

I believe that WC should not be easy to get into. 

DCI is an event promotion company at its core that attends to the needs and desires of the WC members.  Being "more new corps friendly" would obviously mean lowering the minimum that the membership just agreed to increase, would distract DCI personnel from the job it does for it's members, and would (in the members' eyes) lower the "quality" and consistency of the WC program format.

Edited by garfield