Sound Advice, w/Erik Kosman - 2020 DCI Rules Congress

Welcome to the newest series on Sketchbook titled, Sound Advice. Listen to Erik Kosman and me discuss all things related to audio as it pertains to music, pageantry, and production. 

In this episode, Erik and I break down the ins and the outs of this past weekend's 2020 DCI Rules Congress!

Sound Advice, w/Erik Kosman - 2020 DCI Rules Congress

This is definitely worth a listen, irrespective of one's position regarding amplification and electronic enhancement in drum corps. There are informed, intelligent people seeking to establish "best practices", and this is a positive direction for the activity.

This is not to say the arms race will disappear anytime soon, given that it began when the valve was soldered to the G bugle, but there is at least the notion that music education plays a role here.

There are professional standards for sound reinforcement just as there are for brass and percussion performance. The process has become holistic. All of these things, whether officially or not, are evaluated in toto during the show, and not solely by the adjudicators.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

This available on traditional podcast outlets? I refuse to support Spotify podcasts.

i got it on apple

So the OC corps are shut out from the Corps directors vote. Only 20 WC are "voting" members. Well that answer some questions to me as to how the majority of the WC corps voted.

And the reasoning Erik gave was just that, the "Throw it on the wall and see if it sticks" approach to this proposal left corps hesitant. 

The corps will need some solid evidence and $$ figures in their hands to change this rule. 

Thank you for the POD and the insight.