My 2002 Season Journal

• 4 weeks later...

May 24, 2002, 5:35pm ET - Tour Day 1

Saddle Brook, NJ

The wait is over. In about thirty minutes I’ll be leaving my house to move in with the Crossmen until August 11. I’ll admit that I’m nervous, even slightly scared about what the next three months might hold. I’m also excited to push myself to my limits to create something amazing. We jump right into things this weekend with a parade and stage show on Sunday and three parades on Monday. Tuesday is when spring training starts for real. I have to finish packing up some last minute things. The summer of Bones is about to begin.

(Next post is May 26.)

• Like 2

May 26, 2002, 9:30am ET - Tour Day 3

Lakewood, NJ → Newark, NJ

Tour is officially under way. Friday night things started slowly because the buses coming from Allentown were late. On Saturday, we worked hard from wake up until lights out. We made a ton of progress on the show, especially on Strawberry Soup. In a day, we put in all of the show changes in time for tonight’s Memorial Brass stage show. In a little while, it will be time to put on the Crossmen uniform and perform for the very first time. I’m pretty excited to get in front of a real audience tonight. The thrill of the audience reaction is what makes drum corps worth it. But before the stage show, we have a parade to do in Newark, NJ, which is expected to be long and slow. Sleep is a rare commodity; tonight we will get less than four hours. All in all, things are going well so far, less than 90 days left!

(Next post is May 29.)

1 hour ago, DrumCorpsRadio said:

Tour is officially under way. Friday night things started slowly because the buses coming from Allentown were late. On Saturday, we worked hard from wake up until lights out. We made a ton of progress on the show, especially on Strawberry Soup. In a day, we put in all of the show changes in time for tonight’s Memorial Brass stage show. In a little while, it will be time to put on the Crossmen uniform and perform for the very first time. I’m pretty excited to get in front of a real audience tonight. The thrill of the audience reaction is what makes drum corps worth it. But before the stage show, we have a parade to do in Newark, NJ, which is expected to be long and slow. Sleep is a rare commodity; tonight we will get less than four hours. All in all, things are going well so far, less than 90 days left!

(Next post is May 29.)

I wish I had kept a journal of my drum corps year. One always forgets how much one forgets...

3 hours ago, DrumCorpsRadio said:

(Next post is May 29.)

4 hours.wow

May 29, 2002, 7:55am ET - Tour Day 6

Allentown, PA

Sunday’s parade in Newark was terrible. We stood around for a few hours before they were ready for us to march and then the parade was stop and go the whole way, mostly stop. Sunday night we did a good job at Memorial Brass. We got through the whole show without any major problems and the crowd loved it, which was the best part. We even earned a standing ovation at the end of our opener. All in all, it felt great to perform our program for the first time and it felt even better to get such a positive reaction. The talk is now out there about the 2002 Crossmen.

May 29, 2002, 9:20am ET - Tour Day 6

Allentown, PA

On Monday, we enjoyed about four hours of sleep and then got up to do three parades in New Milford, Rochelle Park, and Garfield, New Jersey. The parades themselves weren’t too bad, but it was a hot and tiring day. After our last parade, we went up to Allentown, Pennsylvania for spring training. We got settled into our dorm rooms and had a meeting with Dean Musson, who is now the corps director in addition to brass caption head. I’m really excited to have him leading us as he is knowledgeable, but also approachable. Yesterday we started for real. We woke up at 9 for stretch and run, which wasn’t too horrible. After breakfast, we did an hour of basics. The last 15 minutes were spent doing endurance basics and that was pretty taxing. We spent most of the rest of the day doing drill and we put 21 pages on the field. It started to rain after snack so the hornline came inside and worked on our mouthpieces. After dinner, we had an interesting meeting with George Hopkins. All in all, it wasn’t as difficult of a day as I expected, but we still worked hard.

May 29, 2002, 9:44pm ET - Tour Day 6

Allentown, PA

Yesterday and today were our first two days of real spring training. We got up in the morning to do stretch and run before eating breakfast. After breakfast we do an sour of basics including some endurance building exercises. From there we move on to learning drill and putting it together with music. Yesterday we got the first 22 pages of hte opener on the field and the first 13 with music. Today we got through page 35 on the field and through 25 with music. The music and drill are both extremely dirty, but the excitement is already there. If we keep working as hard as we have been, there’s no telling what we might achieve. I’m sore, sunburned, tired, sick, and still, I’m enjoying it. There’s a move in “Heat of the Day” where I’m backing up at a 5x5 or so while playing an exposed soprano lick and the feeling of doing that with people flying all around me was intense. It’s going to be a fun summer.

(Next post is May 30.)

• Like 3

i'd love to hear about that interesting meeting

20 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'd love to hear about that interesting meeting

I'm sure. I can't remember anything about it...I knew that line would raise some comments.

May 30, 2002, 10:56pm ET - Tour Day 7

Allentown, PA

We spent our third full day of spring training reviewing all the drill we’ve already learned and putting it together with music. At the end of tonight’s rehearsal we were able to run all 35 sets of the opener that we have marching and playing. It’s still extremely dirty, but it is exciting. The staff seems very happy with our aggressive approach to rehearsal. Vets are optimistic about where we are saying that in past years, they’d never gotten this far as fast and that was with less demanding drill and music. The sunburn is spreading, but I’ve been doing a reasonable job covering up and keeping myself hydrated.

(Next post is June 1.)