My 2002 Season Journal

I can't wait to see how this goes.  I consider the Crossmen 2002 show one of the great "could have been" shows.  I think they took captions from BD early on in NJ that year.  But they all got sick iirc.  Crossmen are amazing, but always seem to have the worst luck.  But, I can't wait to see how the season goes from a member's perspective!!!

weren't they stuck at an 84 for like 2 weeks?

June 1, 2002, 11:08pm ET - Tour Day 9

Allentown, PA

Things have been continuing, albeit a little slower. The entire opener of 41 pages is now on the field with music. There’s plenty of work to be done on it, but it’s still nice to have it out there. We should learn the ballad drill pretty quickly and then we have to tackle “Strawberry Soup.” My left knee is very sore on the back side. I may have a slight pull or something, but I think I can work through it. There are quite a few others with more serious injuries to deal with so I’m not so bad off. Tomorrow we have a recording session for our preseason CD, but spring training move forward full steam ahead.

(Next post is June 4.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DrumCorpsRadio said:

June 1, 2002, 11:08pm ET - Tour Day 9

Allentown, PA

Things have been continuing, albeit a little slower. The entire opener of 41 pages is now on the field with music. There’s plenty of work to be done on it, but it’s still nice to have it out there. We should learn the ballad drill pretty quickly and then we have to tackle “Strawberry Soup.” My left knee is very sore on the back side. I may have a slight pull or something, but I think I can work through it. There are quite a few others with more serious injuries to deal with so I’m not so bad off. Tomorrow we have a recording session for our preseason CD, but spring training move forward full steam ahead.

(Next post is June 4.)

Ah, yes, the days of the preseason and midseason CDs. 

On 5/26/2020 at 11:57 AM, Jeff Ream said:

4 hours.wow

Twenty years ago tonight, that's about how much sleep I got en route to see The Priest. That was an uphill battle.

55 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Twenty years ago tonight, that's about how much sleep I got en route to see The Priest. That was an uphill battle.

mine was amazed my eyes weren't bloodshot

June 4, 2002, 11:32pm ET - Tour Day 12

Allentown, PA

Steady progress continues. Today we finished the ballad and began working on “Strawberry Soup,” which will make up about half of our show. It is going to be tough, but I think we’ll get it. The show is extremely demanding and exposed so it’s really going to come down to how clean we can get and how well we execute. If we achieve, we’ll have a great drum corps, but if we don’t max out, it could be less than excellent. Only time will tell. Until then, we’ll continue working hard.

(Next post is June 5.)

• Like 1

June 5, 2002, 11:06pm ET - Tour Day 13

Allentown, PA

Today was a physically tough but rewarding day. We started with our most difficult basics block to date and worked drill all morning during a very hot and humid day. We didn’t learn anything new, but instead focused on cleaning up the opener and getting new people into the drill. We also worked on figuring out some things in “Candle” and put it all together during tonight’s ensemble rehearsal. During our final runthrough, the corps clicked and really performed. I know I personally dug deep to play a little bit louder and put forth every bit of energy I could dig out of myself. The staff was pleased as much as we were and I think it’s a step in the right direction as we build the 2002 Crossmen.

(Next post is June 10.)

• Like 1

June 10, 2002, 3:00pm ET - Tour Day 18

Allentown, PA

On Saturday we woke up early to go to Hudson, New York to do a parade. Before the parade we had a pretty good size marching block. The parade was only for Flag Day, but it was a pretty big deal as there were a good amount of people all along the parade route. At the end of the parade, we performed a concert. We were given the award for best marching/musical unit. I know it doesn’t sound like much, but there were also groups like a US Marine Corps band involved so it was fun to get our first trophy of the summer. The brass bus was pretty fun for our first real trip on tour, too. Last night we went to see Star Wars. That was a lot of fun and it gave us a chance to get away from drum corps for a few minutes. We only have four days left until we leave for tour!

(Next post is June 11.)

• Like 2

June 11, 2002, 10:30pm ET - Tour Day 19

Allentown, PA

Today was a very rough day for the corps. It was extremely hot, up to 97 they tell us. We had a real rough morning visual block that really exhausted everyone. During tonight’s ensemble rehearsal, things just didn’t seem to click like they normally do. It was a frustrating day, but one that is better now than the day of a major show in July sometime. We have four days left until our first exhibition performance of our field show. I’m pretty nervous about whether we’ll be ready for it or not, but I am looking forward to performing either way. Only two months until finals.

(Next post is June 13.)

• Like 1