My 2002 Season Journal

On 7/1/2020 at 9:34 AM, ranintothedoor said:

Aw, man, bringin' it all back. Ā Thanks for doing this. šŸ™‚

Actually, 2002 Crossmen were an inspiration to me. Ā One of 02Ā CorpsmenĀ trumpet players (can't remember his name) was a tech for Scenic City the next year. Ā Loved your show!Ā Ā 

Thanks for sharing that. For some reason, I feel like it might have been Kris that taught at Scenic City although he lived in NJ so I'm not sure. I can post the trumpet pages from the yearbook to help figure it out!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DrumCorpsRadio said:

Ā I made plans to meet Megan (girlfriend) there to spend the night at the park together. My mother even went to the trouble of getting a hotel room and setting everything up, but now we are no longer taking the free night in Hersey.Ā Ā 

Girlfriend and hotel room reserved by my Mother would have never happened in the mid 60's.Ā  Or by me either for that matter.Ā  Loose lips would have sunk me in a heart beat!

• Like 1

We need to know how things did (or didnā€™t) work out with Meagan as part of this saga!

22 hours ago, DrumCorpsRadio said:

Thanks for sharing that. For some reason, I feel like it might have been Kris that taught at Scenic City although he lived in NJ so I'm not sure. I can post the trumpet pages from the yearbook to help figure it out!

That sounds right... he was one of the screamers? I think he mentioned being one of the last trumpet players to release the high note at the end of "America/O Canada" as a badge of honor.Ā  šŸ™‚Ā lol

23 hours ago, Ghost said:

Girlfriend and hotel room reserved by my Mother would have never happened in the mid 60's.Ā  Or by me either for that matter.Ā  Loose lips would have sunk me in a heart beat!

Haha. The hotel room was not forĀ me. It was for them to be there for the show and free time in the park.

16 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

We need to know how things did (or didnā€™t) work out with Meagan as part of this saga!

Maybe an epilogue!

July 5, 2002, 10:13pm ET - Tour Day 43

Allentown, PA ā†’ Hanover, PA

Ā 

Well, it turned out that we got a free day after all. Instead of going to Hersheypark, we did a performance and then had free time at Dorney Park. I, for one, appreciated the time off. I got to spend a few hours with my family and Megan. The parades yesterday were pretty rough due to the extreme heat conditions, but the corps took care of us as best they could and we made it through pretty well. About 20 minutes into the ride from Bristol, Rhode Island to Wakefield, Massachusetts, our bus shut down because it was overheating. We dispersed onto the rest of the buses, but it was very crowded and uncomfortable. I was actually one of the lucky ones because I got a seat while others had to stand for over an hour. So all in all, weā€™re working towards erasing our last show in Bristol with a strong showing in Hershey tomorrow night.

Ā 

(Next post is July 7.)

Edited by DrumCorpsRadio
  • Like 2

July 7, 2002, 10:37pm ET - Tour Day 45

Cortland, NY

Ā 

The weather has cooled down now that we are in New York. Weā€™re back to working hard and making progress on the show. Corps alliances and rivalries are starting to take shape. We had an interesting night with the Boston Crusaders. [Section removed to protect the guilty.] We march retreat next to them at almost every show for the rest of the season so it should be fun.

Ā 

Hershey

1. The Cadets - 84.9 - all captions

2. Crossmen - 79.4

3. Bluecoats - 77.4

4. Boston Crusaders - 76.7

5. Spirit of Atlanta - 72.8

6. Kiwanis Kavaliers - 79.75

Ā 

1. Magic of Orlando - 79.75

Ā 

1. Syracuse Brigadiers - 78.05

2. Hawthorne Caballeros - 73.4

3. Reading Buccaneers - 71.4

4. Bushwackers - 69.1

Ā 

Cortland

1. The Cadets - 85.85 - all captions

2. Crossmen - 81.9

3. Boston Crusaders - 79.8

4. Carolina Crown - 74.5

5. Kiwanis Kavaliers - 65.3

Ā 

1. Magic of Orlando - 82.05

Ā 

(Next post is July 9.)

• Like 1

ahhh Hershey. i know that review is on here

13 hours ago, DrumCorpsRadio said:

We had an interesting night with the Boston Crusaders. [Section removed to protect the guilty.] We march retreat next to them at almost every show for the rest of the season so it should be fun.

Ā 

Ā 

Oh come on! Names can be redactedĀ šŸ˜„

• Like 1