My 2002 Season Journal

On 6/27/2020 at 3:15 PM, DrumCorpsRadio said:

June 27, 2002, 12:09am ET - Tour Day 35

Herndon, VA → Pennsville, NJ

First of all, the results from the 6/25 show in Winston-Salem:

1. The Cadets - 80.60 - Music, General Effect, Visual (tie)

2. Blue Devils - 78.75 - Visual (tie)

3. Crossmen - 76.20

4. Spirit of Atlanta - 68.25

5. Carolina Crown - 67.85

6. Kiwanis Kavaliers - 58.45

1. Magic of Orlando - 76.90

It’s hard to believe that we’re only 2 ½ points behind the Blue Devils. We’re off to an extraordinary start and we’re still very dirty. If you compare scores from other shows, we’re actually 4th in the country right ahead of Santa Clara. Ironic, eh?

Tonight we had a show in Herndon, Virginia. It rained a few hours before the show started so the show wasn’t our greatest because the field wasn’t in great shape. The yard lines and hashes were pretty much invisible too, but we did the best we could and our score still managed to improve.

Tomorrow we have a show in Lansdale, Pennsylvania and Saturday is Clifton, New Jersey. I’m looking forward to performing for people I know.

1. The Cadets - 81.50 - all captions

2. Crossmen - 77.40

3. Carolina Crown - 70.65

4. Spirit of Atlanta - 69.30

5. Kiwanis Kavaliers - 59.65

1. Magic of Orlando - 77.60

2. Lehigh Valley Knights - 55.45

(Next post is June 29.)

From my show review:

'CROSSMEN: Watch out Phantom and Glassmen. This show is much more demanding visually and musically wise than last year's seventh place offering, and it's also better executed. The key will be this: can the Crossmen get the opener, "Heat of the Day," to groove effortlessly and consistently by finals week? If so, then look for them possibly to debut the TV broadcast. Of course, I haven't seen either Phantom or Glassmen, but Crossmen look great and deserve the scores they're getting. Some phasing problems tonight in "Heat of the Day:" again, this will be key. Bones are marching what I believe is the only flugelhorn section in DCI this year: five horns which have some very tasty but extremely exposed parts, including the opening soli in both the opener and the ballad. They were a little bit tentative tonight: they need to be spit-clean. The program as a whole is enormously satisfying. The horn line packs a wallop - those who say they cover the drums too much at times are right I believe. The guard is very aggressive and use these great ten-foot poles in the balllad: when they spin them at the push, the reflections from the lights make this wonderful effect. Strawberry Soup works. Ten years after I marched, my heart still goes faster when they take the field; and it's especially great to see them doing so well this year and over the past few. Second Div. I: 77.40'

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 3:47 AM, mfrontz said:

From my show review:

'CROSSMEN: Watch out Phantom and Glassmen. This show is much more demanding visually and musically wise than last year's seventh place offering, and it's also better executed. The key will be this: can the Crossmen get the opener, "Heat of the Day," to groove effortlessly and consistently by finals week? If so, then look for them possibly to debut the TV broadcast. Of course, I haven't seen either Phantom or Glassmen, but Crossmen look great and deserve the scores they're getting. Some phasing problems tonight in "Heat of the Day:" again, this will be key. Bones are marching what I believe is the only flugelhorn section in DCI this year: five horns which have some very tasty but extremely exposed parts, including the opening soli in both the opener and the ballad. They were a little bit tentative tonight: they need to be spit-clean. The program as a whole is enormously satisfying. The horn line packs a wallop - those who say they cover the drums too much at times are right I believe. The guard is very aggressive and use these great ten-foot poles in the balllad: when they spin them at the push, the reflections from the lights make this wonderful effect. Strawberry Soup works. Ten years after I marched, my heart still goes faster when they take the field; and it's especially great to see them doing so well this year and over the past few. Second Div. I: 77.40'

Loved that you shared this!

Also, I listened to the 92 Crossmen on the ride to every single show during the 02 season.

• Thanks 1

July 9, 2002, 12:30am ET - Tour Day 47

Ogdensburg, NY → Allentown, PA

We had a long day of rehearsal, 8 hours in total today, because we were housed at the show site and performed last in the show. The show was delayed due to rain. As we started our show, it really started to come down and by our ballad, it was absolutely pouring. The harder it rained, the more into the show I became. The crowd also showed their appreciation for the performance we gave under such adverse conditions. It was a fun show and we impressed some people, too.

Ogdensburg

1. Crossmen - 82.6 - General Effect, Music

2. Boston Crusaders - 80.3 - Visual

3. Carolina Crown - 75.0

4. Spirit of Atlanta - 73.8

5. Kiwanis Kavaliers - 67.45

1. Magic of Orlando - 83.0

2. Patriots - 69.65

(Next post is July 13.)

• Like 3

July 13, 2002, 12:20am ET - Tour Day 51

Buffalo, NY → Cincinnati, OH

We had a few days of rehearsal after Ogdensburg where we began putting in music and visual changes. Some of the new visual additions are pretty intense, especially for me. While it is pretty hard, it makes performing all the more fun. We’ve been off our performance level for the last two shows, although our scores are rapidly increasing again. The pace of scores in DCI this year seems to be leading to a record score. [Editor's note - The Cavaliers did set a high score record at the end of the year.] I feel like the corps and myself personally are at a mid-season crossroads. Frustration occurs regularly, the work on the field is tedious, and it’s now when we find out exactly where we are going this summer. Only time will tell…

Hornell

1. The Cadets - 88.85 - All captions

2. Crossmen - 83.4

3. Boston Crusaders - 82.3

4. Spirit of Atlanta - 76.3

5. Kiwanis Kavaliers - 67.25

1. Magic of Orlando - 83.8

2. Patriots - 73.3

Buffalo

1. The Cadets - 89.45 - All captions

2. Crossmen - 84.8

3. Boston Crusaders - 83.3

4. Spirit of Atlanta -  78.5

5. Carolina Crown - 77.3

6. Kiwanis Kavaliers - 67.95

1. Magic of Orlando - 85.15

2. Patriots - 73.2

(Next post is July 14.)

• Like 1

July 14, 2002, 9:58pm ET - Tour Day 52

Cincinnati, OH → Alton, IL

We lost to Boston for the first time last night at the Fairfield, Ohio show. Granted it was only by .05 points, but it was a loss nonetheless. We’re not overly concerned as we still have plenty of room to grow as a corps. We had an excellent (grueling) rehearsal day today where we worked solely on the end of the show. It was rough but needed. I’m looking forward to this next leg of tour as we head to places I’ve never been to. We also get to see corps that we’ve yet to see as we join up with the corps that just finished the DCM tour. I’ll see Mike with the Madison Scouts in two days in Oklahoma. He was a fellow soprano player in the Caballeros. I’m going to enjoy a movie for a little while before getting some bus sleep.

Fairfield

1. The Cadets - 88.25 - All captions

2. Boston Crusaders - 83.05

3. Crossmen - 83.00

4. Spirit of Atlanta - 76.75

5. Carolina Crown - 76.1

1. Magic of Orlando - 82.4

(Next post is July 17.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DrumCorpsRadio said:

July 14, 2002, 9:58pm ET - Tour Day 52

Cincinnati, OH → Alton, IL

We lost to Boston for the first time last night at the Fairfield, Ohio show. Granted it was only by .05 points, but it was a loss nonetheless. We’re not overly concerned as we still have plenty of room to grow as a corps. We had an excellent (grueling) rehearsal day today where we worked solely on the end of the show. It was rough but needed. I’m looking forward to this next leg of tour as we head to places I’ve never been to. We also get to see corps that we’ve yet to see as we join up with the corps that just finished the DCM tour. I’ll see Mike with the Madison Scouts in two days in Oklahoma. He was a fellow soprano player in the Caballeros. I’m going to enjoy a movie for a little while before getting some bus sleep.

Fairfield

1. The Cadets - 88.25 - All captions

2. Boston Crusaders - 83.05

3. Crossmen - 83.00

4. Spirit of Atlanta - 76.75

5. Carolina Crown - 76.1

1. Magic of Orlando - 82.4

(Next post is July 17.)

No shame in that. 'You Are My Star' was a great show.

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2020 at 6:14 PM, Tony L. said:

This was around the time that their scores basically stopped improving right?  I remember they were treading water in scores for a long time that summer.  

Yes...here it comes.

July 17, 2002, 10:00pm CT - Tour Day 55

Hennessey, OK → Dallas, TX

Today was a rehearsal day in Oklahoma after shows in Alton, Illinois and Enid, Oklahoma the past two nights. We got away from some of our regular competitors and met up with some of the Midwest corps yesterday. We’ve been making good improvement on our show daily although our score has hit a bit of a wall the past few shows. We lost to Boston again in Alton, but I’m pretty confident that we can reverse that. This weekend begins the toughest competition as we start seeing all of the top corps daily. It’s an exciting change of pace that should help us make the next push. 

I’ve been focusing on my impressions of the Midwest for my online webmoirs (YEA blogging thing I did that I can’t find in the Wayback Machine) so I won’t go into too much detail on it here. I’m enjoying the opportunity to see some different parts of the country. I’m not used to the totally flat landscape like there is here in Oklahoma. I’ve also noticed that people around here almost exclusively drive American cars. It was funny (perhaps not the right choice of words) to see tornado evacuation signs in our housing site right next to the fire exit information. We’re heading to Texas for a good run now.

Alton, Illinois

1. The Cavaliers - 90.0 - All captions

2. Boston Crusaders - 84.3

3. Crossmen - 83.9

4. Bluecoats - 82.3

1. Magic of Orlando - 84.5

Enid, Oklahoma

1. The Cavaliers - 89.5 - All captions

2. Crossmen - 84.05

3. Bluecoats - 83.2

4. Madison Scouts - 76.85

5. Kiwanis Kavaliers - 65.8