My 2002 Season Journal

July 19, 2002, 12:24am CT - Tour Day 57

Dallas, TX → Houston, TX

We started the Texas run tonight at a high school stadium in Dallas. It was probably our largest crowd so far. The stadium was as large as some small colleges since Texas takes its football so seriously. It was fun to perform for a huge crowd and tonight was just a preview of the major shows to come. There were some interesting placements tonight as Madison lost to Spirit and Crown, we tied Boston, and BD closed the gap to tenths behind The Cadets. Things are really shaping up for a tight 1-4 race, a tighter 5-9, and a battle to claim the last three finals spots. Hopefully that’ll lake things more interesting for the fans. Even though we are right in the midst of it all, I’m not really all that concerned. Our show is getting better every day and we’re happier with our performance level. So long as the fans keep cheering, I’m happy.

Dallas

1. The Cadets - 89.1 - General Effect, Music

2. Blue Devils - 88.55 - Visual

3. Crossmen - 83.1

4. Boston Crusaders - 83.1

5. Bluecoats - 82.6

6. Carolina Crown - 78.05

7. Spirit of Atlanta - 77.6

8. Madison Scouts - 77.35

9. Southwind - 70.05

10. Pioneer - 63.65

July 19, 2002, 11:58pm CT - Tour Day 57

Houston, TX → San Antonio, TX

The first matchup with Phantom and Glassmen didn’t exactly work out in our favor as we lost to both of them. We felt, as did the staff, that we had a good show, but I guess the judges didn’t agree. Morale is still high as we aren’t really worrying about scores and placements right now. We realize that our show is still pretty dirty. While that is true, we are running out of time. With major shows every weekend and only two weeks of shows left, there isn’t really that much rehearsing left to clean everything up. Hopefully the corps will really start to click and things will take care of themselves.

Houston, TX

1. The Cavaliers - 91.55 - General Effect, Music

2. The Cadets - 90.4

3. Blue Devils - 89.7 - Visual

4. Glassmen - 84.95

5. Phantom Regiment - 84.5

6. Crossmen - 83.85

(Next post is July 21.)

• Like 3

On 7/19/2020 at 8:51 PM, Tony L. said:

So 10 days and the score is about 1 point higher.  That is crazy.  That must have been very frustrating!

My seat partner made a video of the summer and there's definitely a scene where I'm making that point...I had a really early version of a smartphone device that just accessed AOL Instant Messenger so I got score updates that we kept in a notebook. Hard to remember that we generally didn't know what was going on around the country back then, but we definitely were aware of this crazy stall.

July 21, 2002, 9:51pm CT - Tour Day 59

San Antonio, TX → Wichita Falls, TX

Today was our one completely free day of the summer. We got up and did laundry. Then we went to San Antonio’s Riverwalk from 2-6pm. I hung out with Curt (trumpet), Courtney (baritone), and Steve (baritone and seat partner). We headed straight for Steers and Beers. I had a great meal, although I probably spent too much money. I had the surf and turf, which was an 8oz filet mignon wrapped in bacon, three large shrimp, a baked potato, and these different carrots in some kind of honey sauce. I topped it all off with a (detail removed to protect the guilty). It set me back $35, but I think it was worth it. After we ate, we spent some time in the mall and then headed to the Alamo. I learned a bit about the battle for future use (I was studying to become a history teacher) and was glad to gain some historical knowledge this summer. It was a much needed free day, but it would have been even better had it been a few hours longer.

San Antonio, TX

1. The Cavaliers - 92.45 - All captions

2. The Cadets - 90.5

3. Blue Devils - 90.35

4. Santa Clara Vanguard - 89.3

5. Glassmen - 86.15

6. Phantom Regiment - 85.8

7. Boston Crusaders - 84.55

8. Bluecoats - 84.2

9. Crossmen - 83.8

10. Seattle Cascades - 79.95

1. Spirit of Atlanta - 79.95

1. Blue Knights - 78.5

(Next post is July 22.)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DrumCorpsRadio said:

July 21, 2002, 9:51pm CT - Tour Day 59

San Antonio, TX → Wichita Falls, TX

Today was our one completely free day of the summer. We got up and did laundry. Then we went to San Antonio’s Riverwalk from 2-6pm. I hung out with Curt (trumpet), Courtney (baritone), and Steve (baritone and seat partner). We headed straight for Steers and Beers. I had a great meal, although I probably spent too much money. I had the surf and turf, which was an 8oz filet mignon wrapped in bacon, three large shrimp, a baked potato, and these different carrots in some kind of honey sauce. I topped it all off with a (detail removed to protect the guilty). It set me back $35, but I think it was worth it. After we ate, we spent some time in the mall and then headed to the Alamo. I learned a bit about the battle for future use (I was studying to become a history teacher) and was glad to gain some historical knowledge this summer. It was a much needed free day, but it would have been even better had it been a few hours longer.

San Antonio, TX

1. The Cavaliers - 92.45 - All captions

2. The Cadets - 90.5

3. Blue Devils - 90.35

4. Santa Clara Vanguard - 89.3

5. Glassmen - 86.15

6. Phantom Regiment - 85.8

7. Boston Crusaders - 84.55

8. Bluecoats - 84.2

9. Crossmen - 83.8

10. Seattle Cascades - 79.95

1. Spirit of Atlanta - 79.95

1. Blue Knights - 78.5

(Next post is July 22.)

Maybe if you hadn't been gorging and drinking you would have scored higher 😉🍺🍤🥓🥩

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, mfrontz said:

Maybe if you hadn't been gorging and drinking you would have scored higher 😉🍺🍤🥓🥩

Just wait until you see today's post where I can't figure out why I struggled at the next day's rehearsal!

July 22, 2002, 11:42pm CT - Tour Day 60

Wichita Falls, TX → Newton, KS

We finally broke out of our score slump with an 85.65. We also regained some ground in the standings by tying Boston. Suddenly things are a bit brighter for the home stretch of the season. I actually had a pretty rough rehearsal day today. During the morning music sectional, I could barely play...probably because of not playing at all yesterday. Then during full ensemble I felt nauseous and couldn’t play because it was hard enough just to march. By the time we got to the show site I felt much better and ended up having a pretty good show.

Wichita Falls, TX

1. Blue Devils - 90.9 - General effect, Visual

2. Santa Clara Vanguard - 89.95 - Music

3. Crossmen - 85.65

4. Boston Crusaders - 85.65

5. Blue Knights - 80.35

6. Colts - 80.25

7. Pioneer - 69.0

(Next post is July 28.)

Edited by DrumCorpsRadio
Next post is 7/28 not 7/23
  • Like 1