My 2002 Season Journal

July 28, 2002, 11:48pm ET - Tour Day 66

Centerville, OH

A lot has happened since I last wrote five days ago. We traveled out of Texas to Kansas for a show followed by rehearsal days in Missouri and Tennessee and then shows in Tennessee, Indiana, and Ohio. We’re still hovering at the 9th place spot and our score hasn’t changed much at all even though our performance level has increased very much. Even though it sometimes feels like we aren’t going anywhere, the staff keeps pushing us mercilessly. We wake up early, work long and hard, but don’t necessarily get the pay off that we’re looking for at the end of the day. I’m having doubts about some staff decisions, too. For example, tonight we’re staying over at the same school as last night. We were supposed to have a laundry/rehearsal day tomorrow but now it’s minus the laundry. They are still waking us up at 7:30am even though we have a whole day and the majority of the corps is sick, burnt out, and/or injured. I strongly feel that we should get some major rest and prepare ourselves mentally and physically for the last 12 days of the season. Well, there isn’t much I can do about it so I’m going to make use of the time I have to sleep.

Wichita, KS

1. Blue Devils - 90.7 - All captions

2. Boston Crusaders - 86.55

3. Crossmen - 85.5

4. Colts - 81.65

5. Seattle Cascades - 81.1

6. Southwind - 72.35

7. Kiwanis Kavaliers - 71.95

Murfreesboro, TN

1. The Cavaliers - 94.85 - All captions

2. The Cadets - 92.65

3. Blue Devils - 92.05

4. Santa Clara Vanguard - 91.95

5. Phantom Regiment - 88.0

6. Glassmen - 87.95

7. Bluecoats - 86.05

8. Crossmen - 84.55

Indianapolis, IN (Prelims)

1. Crossmen - 85.65 - Visual

2. Seattle Cascades - 84.55 - General Effect

3. Spirit of Atlanta - 83.85 - Music

4. Colts - 82.7

5. Carolina Crown - 81.95

6. Blue Knights - 81.6

7. Madison Scouts - 81.35

8. Southwind - 71.95

9. Kiwanis Kavaliers - 71.65

10. Troopers - 69.65

11. Pioneer - 67.45

Indianapolis, IN (Finals)

1. The Cavaliers - 95.2 - All captions

2. The Cadets - 93.1

3. Blue Devils - 93.0

4. Santa Clara Vanguard - 92.1

5. Phantom Regiment - 88.95

6. Glassmen - 88.2

7. Bluecoats - 87.85

8. Boston Crusaders - 87.15

9. Crossmen - 84.6

10. Spirit of Atlanta - 83.15

11. Seattle Cascades - 83.1

12. Colts - 81.55

Centerville, OH

1. Blue Devils - 93.0 - All captions

2. Glassmen - 89.2

3. Boston Crusaders - 88.55

4. Crossmen - 86.6

5. Seattle Cascades - 83.6

6. Madison Scouts - 82.7

1. Capital Regiment

2. Marion Glory Cadets

(Next post is July 30.)

• Like 1

July 30, 2002, 11:30pm ET - Tour Day 68

Erie, PA → New York Mills, NY

Four regular season shows to go… We worked mostly on the new ballad today after learning it yesterday. I like the newest version the best out of the four that we’ve learned. It includes 32 counts of dance (editorial note - compared to what happens today, these 32 counts would barely be considered movement, but we thought we were ahead of our time then) for the hornline and other body movement at various points in the show. While it may not always be my strong suit, I think it’s pretty cool and something we needed to do to bring our show to a new level. We had a very strong performance tonight, especially considering that the ballad is brand new. The staff was extremely excited about the performance, even more so than a lot of the members I think.

Erie, PA

1. Glassmen - 89.35 - Visual, Music

2. Boston Crusaders - 88.75 - General Effect

3. Crossmen - 86.3

4. Seattle Cascades - 83.35

5. Kiwanis Kavaliers - 73.5

1. Magic of Orlando - 90.2

2. Spartans - 84.4

3. Blue Stars - 78.35

4. Lake Erie Regiment - 64.7

(Next post is July 31.)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tony L. said:

How bad was the sickness floating around the corps then?  I had heard it was pretty bad and that was a primary reason for the stagnant scores.  

The scores were stagnant for awhile so I'm not sure it can be totally attributed to that. I think we opened strong b/c of the content of the show but then stagnated b/c we didn't clean as fast as everyone else. Until we watered things down and made changes, we kind of got stuck. The credit for demand and content obviously goes away as the season continues if you can't perform it.

July 31, 2002, 11:33pm ET - Tour Day 69

Rome, NY → Beverly, MA

I felt like we had a decent show when I walked off the field following tonight’s show but our caption head sure didn’t agree. Either way, our score went up again. More interesting was the fact that Boston passed Glassmen tonight. I don’t really have much to write except that tomorrow is August. I know I’ve written about the end of the season before, but it really is looming before us. In a little more than a week, I’ll be back home with an entire season of DCI behind me.

Rome, NY

1. Boston Crusaders - 90.3 - General Effect, Music

2. Glassmen - 89.2 - Visual

3. Crossmen - 87.4

4. Seattle Cascades - 85.35

5. Kiwanis Kavaliers - 75.7

1. Magic of Orlando - 90.2

2. Patriots - 84.55

3. East Coast Jazz - 81.65

(Next post is August 1.)

• Like 1

August 1, 2002, 11:49pm ET - Tour Day 70

Lynn, MA → Pennsville, NJ

We made up for yesterday. We didn’t get a whole lot of sleep, but we rehearsed hard and got better today during practice. We had a great show and then enjoyed a good amount of free time because it was a drum major only retreat. After the show, I sat front and center for the Blue Devils’ victory concert. It was a great experience as I enjoyed listening to their hornline blast (with quality). I think BD is my favorite show musically this year (after ours of course). Tonight was one of those moments where you realize why drum corps is worth it. There are a million reasons to not do it, but all the sacrifices make it even more meaningful in the end. There are only two show days left and then some rehearsal days before getting to Madison.

Lynn, MA

1. Blue Devils - 94.5 - All captions

2. Boston Crusaders - 91.45

3. Glassmen - 89.6

4. Crossmen - 88.0

1. East Coast Jazz - 81.85

(Next post is August 4.)

• Like 3

August 4, 2002, 2:27pm ET - Tour Day 73

Huntingdon, PA

Last night was our final regular season show, the DCI Eastern Classic at Franklin in Philadelphia. The night before we saw Bones for the first time at another “home” show in West Chester. Yesterday was probably the best day of tour so far though, especially as being a Crossmen goes. We had a fairly short rehearsal day and then traveled to a classic drum corps stadium where crowds of people were waiting to get into the show. We had a really strong performance but only maintained our current placement. Although not as much as Madison, we did receive some boos when our score was announced. After the show, we massed brass with Spirit and played our warmup, Pat Metheny’s “Another Life” and their corps song “Georgia on My Mind.” Then Spirit played their ballad and “Salvation” for us. After all of this, we all enjoyed Philly cheesesteaks at the Crossmen food truck. It was all a lot of fun and it’s nice to have that kind of relationship with another corps.

Today the focus changed to tedious cleaning to prepare ourselves for Madison. We’re doing laundry today as well so the rehearsal blocks aren’t too long, but they will be for the next three days. I also got my tour jacket today. It’s pretty boring right now because it doesn’t have any patches on it, but I’ve earned the right to wear the jacket and I’ll do so proudly (even if I don’t like red). This time next week I’ll be back in New Jersey looking back on an experience that really began way back in November when I attended my first audition.

West Chester, PA

1. The Cadets - 96.4 - General Effect, Music

2. Blue Devils - 96.2 - Visual

3. Boston Crusaders - 91.75

4. Crossmen - 89.75

5. Carolina Crown - 83.8

1. Jersey Surf - 80.25

Philadelphia, PA

1. The Cadets - 95.75 - General Effect

2. Blue Devils - 95.7 - Visual, Music

3. Boston Crusaders - 90.95

4. Glassmen - 90.1

5. Bluecoats - 89.75

6. Crossmen - 88.85

7. Spirit of Atlanta - 86.5

8. Seattle Cascades - 85.85

9. Carolina Crown - 84.35

10. Madison Scouts - 82.35

11. Kiwanis Kavaliers - 74.2

(Next post is August 6.)

• Like 1

August 6, 2002, 10:00pm ET - Tour Day 75

West Milton, OH → Columbus, WI

We only have one full rehearsal day left before the finals competitions begin. The last two days have been difficult, but we did get a lot of cleaning done. Things are going to move very quickly over these final four days. I’m looking forward to these last performances and getting home even though I’m sure I’ll miss it too. I don’t really have much to write since we’ve just been rehearsing. More to come soon!

(Next post is August 7.)

• Like 1

August 7, 2002, 10:31pm ET - Tour Day 76

Columbus, WI

Rehearsal days are over. They were grueling, but we finally had the chance to really break things down for cleaning. We also spent time getting our secret stadium entrance ready for its first public viewing. Compared to the past few days, the rehearsal time the next three days is practically nothing. All of the work we’ve put in all season has to pay off over the next few days and I think it will. I expect the finals’ run will be over in a flash with all the excitement surrounding everything. I can’t wait to take the field at Camp Randall, especially on Saturday night. I’m really glad that my parents and girlfriend will be there to share in all of it too.

(Next post is August 9.)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DrumCorpsRadio said:

August 7, 2002, 10:31pm ET - Tour Day 76

Columbus, WI

Rehearsal days are over. They were grueling, but we finally had the chance to really break things down for cleaning. We also spent time getting our secret stadium entrance ready for its first public viewing. Compared to the past few days, the rehearsal time the next three days is practically nothing. All of the work we’ve put in all season has to pay off over the next few days and I think it will. I expect the finals’ run will be over in a flash with all the excitement surrounding everything. I can’t wait to take the field at Camp Randall, especially on Saturday night. I’m really glad that my parents and girlfriend will be there to share in all of it too.

(Next post is August 9.)

'The Signature Series' is a great show in Crossmen history! Thanks for sharing your journal. 

• Like 1