2022 Wish

16 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

There has been dancing in drum corps for DECADES. When people say stuff like that it makes me wonder if they have in fact ever even seen a drum corps.

Ok you threw it out for discussion. How wide spread was the dancing you saw?

11 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

When I was paying attention triples were about it, but they all came down at the exact same second like a clean snare line - CLICK.  Guards today throw way higher, but the catches are not very clean in my opinion.  I’d rather see a perfectly executed triple than a sloppy 7 and perfectly executed ballerina move.

I guess you didn't see Boston's weapons last year or the year before or BDs saber line this year. The layering of body and equipment and high precision in today's color guard world is just off the charts. It is probably the one area of the activity that has grown the most in since 'the good ole' days'.

Calling the athleticism of what they do a 'ballerina' move is a slap in the face to what those performers are doing. I'd also note that ballerina's are incredible athletes in their own right.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Everyone should perform their exact book (ala early season 91 SCV Fiddler) from either:

1 - The first year they made DCI finals

2 - The first year they performed in DCI if they've never made finals

DCI should purchase any retro equipment required, like marching tymps, pikes, spiked helmets, marching bells, and so on.

Fans should buy tickets to see it all

PBS should broadcast finals in full, with Rita Moreno being unimpressed.

The only non-retro thing should be the food trucks and buses.  I wouldn't wish no foodtruck and the crappy busses we all rode on anyone.

Do I recall correctly; isn't The Troopers Alumni Corps (they are calling it "Project") working towards championships in 2023, the 65th anniversary of the corps? I greatly enjoy the alumni corps when they perform at championships. That's plenty reminder-of enough for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, troopers1 said:

Everyone should perform their exact book (ala early season 91 SCV Fiddler) from either:

DCI should purchase any retro equipment required, like marching tymps, pikes, spiked helmets, marching bells, and so on.

The only non-retro thing should be the food trucks and buses.  I wouldn't wish no foodtruck and the crappy busses we all rode on anyone.

Would rather have Carmine Appice with his “is he really into the show or having a flashback” bit.

”wasn’t that great Carmine... Carmine?”

” Ah... oh yeah amazing”

For reference, SCV did Fiddler in '92.

In addition, IIRC didn't the judges have issues with their show for some of the retro stuff (they had the guard come out in their traditional uniforms/boots during the Bottle Dance)?

I think they spent a good part of the season with rewrites including inserting a new ballad.  Chava Ballet replaced Sunrise Sunset.

Here's '92 Vanguard early season.

https://youtu.be/sVamazJ_KnM

On the one hand this would be terrible, on the other it would save me money on all the tickets I wouldn't buy.

• Like 1

2002(?) Caballeros played 1975 Muchachos show using current (at the time) equipment. Thought it was good but I remember 1975 ( I’m that old).

if corps did a throw back show or partial show how many in the stands would realize it?

32 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Would rather have Carmine Appice with his “is he really into the show or having a flashback” bit.

”wasn’t that great Carmine... Carmine?”

” Ah... oh yeah amazing”

This is the only clip I could find of Carmine Appice on that broadcast.

• Thanks 2