2022 Wish

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

Used to a talk show hosted by Mike Douglas, on late afternoons. Once he had John Lennon and Yoko Ono as musical guests with their band. As they started to sing, this awful caterwauling came out of Yoko's mic. About 10-15 seconds into the piece, they obviously turned off her mic, as the sounds stopped, though her lips kept moving.   😎 

And to make it worse Douglas had Mangione on and we found out Chuck has the most irritating laugh. IIRC it was like air escaping from a balloon. Red Skelton was also on and spent way too much time getting Chuck to laugh to make fun of the laugh. After a while you wanted to smack them both 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

LOL!!!

In 2014 when my niece (and goddaughter) got married, she called me out to the dance floor for a "special song" for us to dance to.

World-class chop-buster that she is... it was an REO Speedwagon tune. :tongue:

I’m gonna guess - I’m Gonna Keep On Loving You

3 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I’m gonna guess - I’m Gonna Keep On Loving You

I think that was it.  I tried to block it out. :laughing:

Edited by Fran Haring

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

Used to a talk show hosted by Mike Douglas, on late afternoons. Once he had John Lennon and Yoko Ono as musical guests with their band. As they started to sing, this awful caterwauling came out of Yoko's mic. About 10-15 seconds into the piece, they obviously turned off her mic, as the sounds stopped, though her lips kept moving.   😎 

I remember that... they were Mike's co-hosts for that day/week. Mike Douglas, that is. LOL

He had a cool show... all sorts of guests from different backgrounds, political persuasions, musicians from various genres, etc.

None quite as brutally out of tune as Yoko, though. :laughing:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I remember that... they were Mike's co-hosts for that day/week. Mike Douglas, that is. LOL

He had a cool show... all sorts of guests from different backgrounds, political persuasions, musicians from various genres, etc.

None quite as brutally out of tune as Yoko, though. :laughing:

I know... still OT.... but speaking of Yoko....LOL...

The 10th anniversary of John Lennon's assassination, 1990... there was a big to-do at the UN that day, hosted by Scott Muni and broadcast on  WNEW-FM, remembering the tragic event. Yoko was the featured speaker... and Howard Stern (I think he was on K-Rock in NYC then) brought it up live on his show (which, from what I recall, was an FCC violation at that time... you couldn't simulcast another station's show without their permission, or something like that).

Now... Howard hated Yoko... and was not exactly fond of Scott Muni, either. LOL. I was heading home from my own morning radio gig in NJ... and had to tune in because I knew what was coming. An epic rant from Howard about Yoko's role in the whole anniversary event. I #### near drove off the road I was laughing so hard.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Talk about drifting off topic. I hope we don’t get reported to JohnZ

Think John should remember that era too lol.... 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Let me guess. You once had a bad breakup and when you hear a REO Speedwagon song it triggers your memory.  Maybe the old girlfriend particularly liked REO Speedwagon, or it was playing when she broke up with you. 

Oh wait. That’s me. 

Take It On The Run Baby!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Talk about drifting off topic. I hope we don’t get reported to JohnZ

too late....but I still have high hopes the thread veers back to the original topic soon.

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Think John should remember that era too lol.... 

some of it.....I think.....

OK... I'll start veering it back....:laughing:

I'm pretty sure the days of what we might consider to be "retro shows" are gone, gone, gone...unless there's an edict from somewhere on high. Whatever that means. LOL

Now... the Blue Devils in 2017... that was, for me, a great example of an anniversary show, with touches of nostalgia blended with current pageantry. 

I mentioned this in another thread somewhere.... but a high-school band in NJ a few years ago did a show about the history of marching band/drum corps, from post-World War II to the present. (I, and a few other drum corps folks, did some voice work for the show.)

The visuals went from the traditional starting-line company front, and evolved in each segment up to the present day. And, I think what really made the show work for a competition group was that the music selections evoked those eras while using modern arrangements... not a note-for-note "copying the classics" presentation. The band placed in the top 3 in their class at their championship.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1