2022 Wish

And since I detoured I’ll try to swing back...

keep reading that great number of DCI target audience is family/friends of current marchers. IMO these folks wouldn’t know if a corps was playing one of their “greatest hits” or doing a trademark move. Picturing some of the audience cheering and rest with wth looks on their faces.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

keep reading that great number of DCI target audience is family/friends of current marchers. IMO these folks wouldn’t know if a corps was playing one of their “greatest hits” or doing a trademark move. Picturing some of the audience cheering and rest with wth looks on their faces.

I fit into both of those categories.  Sometimes cheering.  Sometimes the thousand yard stare. 

6 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I fit into both of those categories.  Sometimes cheering.  Sometimes the thousand yard stare. 

Heh... a few of us went to DCI East prelims in 1992, mainly to see SCV and their "Fiddler" show.

The Bottle Dance started... we jumped to our feet... and a woman behind us literally grabbed at our shirts and tried to pull us down!!!  "You're blocking my view!!!"

Well... we were like, hey.... it's the freakin' BOTTLE DANCE, lady... we are standing up and cheering!!!!   :laughing:   She finally let us be.  As soon as the corps was done, my friend turned around to her and her friends and told them if they ever tried something like that again, he would kill all of them. LOL. And... knowing my friend... he meant it. :tongue:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Heh... a few of us went to DCI East prelims in 1992, mainly to see SCV and their "Fiddler" show.

The Bottle Dance started... we jumped to our feet... and a woman behind us literally grabbed at our shirts and tried to pull us down!!!  "You're blocking my view!!!"

Well... we were like, hey.... it's the freakin' BOTTLE DANCE, lady... we are standing up and cheering!!!!   :laughing:   She finally let us be.  As soon as the corps was done, my friend turned around to her and her friends and told them if they ever tried something like that again, he would kill all of them. LOL. And... knowing my friend... he meant it. :tongue:

fuhgeddaboudit!!!

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

True. I sat next to a couple my age who were attending their very first show a few years back. It was the year Surf did their "Bridgemania" show as a tribute to Bayonne. The  couple had no idea why some of the audience was responding to parts of the show. I had to tell them what was going on...they were not impressed very much, actually. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MikeD said:

fuhgeddaboudit!!!

I’m from Noo Joisey, don’t touch me...

Had that at my sisters last band competition in the 80s. Band parent from our HS sitting in front of me gave me hades for yelling for a corpsmate in between show “you should cheer when OUR band comes on”.

Later I got back when drum tech from another band was looking for a seat during his bands performance. Another  corps mate so I had him sit next to me. Man did I get the look of death from the band mom in front of me. Funniest part was #1 he didn’t know there was a problem and #2 it was Jeff’s dad

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, MikeD said:

True. I sat next to a couple my age who were attending their very first show a few years back. It was the year Surf did their "Bridgemania" show as a tribute to Bayonne. The  couple had no idea why some of the audience was responding to parts of the show. I had to tell them what was going on...they were not impressed very much, actually. 

Thinking of first few shows my wife went to. Only questions I got were “did you compete against them?” and “how did you do?” Then when the crowd would go nuts I would get the “what’s going on” look. 
 So I can relate to those newbie parents

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Some of these posts are reminding me of an experience I had last summer. It was the Saturday afternoon just before finals. I needed a haircut. Sitting next to me was a young man and young woman who marched with Shadow. Great kids. Both entering their senior year of high school. Both shared the colleges they were applying to, one being Boston College, and as a BC “wannabe” I approved. The young man loves old school drum corps. His favorite old school show? 2008 Phantom Regiment. He would have been a Kindergarten graduate that summer! 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Some of these posts are reminding me of an experience I had last summer. It was the Saturday afternoon just before finals. I needed a haircut. Sitting next to me was a young man and young woman who marched with Shadow. Great kids. Both entering their senior year of high school. Both shared the colleges they were applying to, one being Boston College, and as a BC “wannabe” I approved. The young man loves old school drum corps. His favorite old school show? 2008 Phantom Regiment. He would have been a Kindergarten graduate that summer! 

2008 Phantom.  Old school.   My kid aged out the previous year.

• Sad 1