2022 Wish

10 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

I guess you didn't see Boston's weapons last year or the year before or BDs saber line this year. The layering of body and equipment and high precision in today's color guard world is just off the charts. It is probably the one area of the activity that has grown the most in since 'the good ole' days'.

Calling the athleticism of what they do a 'ballerina' move is a slap in the face to what those performers are doing. I'd also note that ballerina's are incredible athletes in their own right.

Sabers do not count.  I don’t acknowledge their existence unless it’s inside for Winter Guard.  Sabers get lost on a football field and can barely be seen.

I’ve only seen bits of Boston Crusaders show, but I will check them out as you suggest.

Modern color guards DO look like ballerinas to me, or jazz dancers if you will, especially when so many of them go off on their own individually and not as a unit.  Rifle work looks like baton work now too.  Whatever happened to good-ole perfectly timed fan-spins in a wedge, or company front??

Today’s color guard world may be “off the charts” for you, but it isn't for me.  They now look like any other dance group I can see at any high school football game, cheerleader squad, or T.V. dance show competition.  It's not a diss on the m.m. as they're just as talented as any other generation that came before them and I respect them all.  It's just the style now, what they're taught, and I find it ordinary and the heavy make-up gaudy - especially on the dudes!

I’ll also note color guards had “equipment and high precision” for decades too.  It's not a recent invention as you intimate. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I’ll also note color guards had “equipment and high precision” for decades too.  It's not a recent invention as you intimate. 

You left out the "layering of body" in the quote, which when combined with the equipment work is what has propelled modern guard to its current amazing heights. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MikeD said:

You left out the "layering of body" in the quote, which when combined with the equipment work is what has propelled modern guard to its current amazing heights. 

Definition of laying of body please? I can only guess here

29 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Re layering of body  -well the skin is on the outermost layer, with muscles under that followed by the bone layer.  If talking abdomen there is also the 'innards' layer (to use the technical term).

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

That was part of the original quote. To me, it refers to the addition of total body involvement along with the equipment work. As opposed to the past where guards were the opposite. Guards were supposed to be as rigidly still as possible in their body as they performed the equipment work. Two totally differing concepts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I’ve only seen bits of Boston Crusaders show, but I will check them out as you suggest.

I just watched their prelim performance.......any rifle that can throw a 7, do a cartwheel, and catch it, gets mad respect from me.  They were great.

The giant pegboards did nothing for their show (like most props) until the very end.

2 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Sabers do not count.  I don’t acknowledge their existence unless it’s inside for Winter Guard.  Sabers get lost on a football field and can barely be seen.

They've been used well at times.  Carolina Crown and BD have had some amazing sabre moments where they'd be scattered across the field and pop up with super high spin tosses and catch the lights 'just so' and create a sparkle effect across the field.

On 1/21/2020 at 5:34 PM, Spatzzz said:

There has been dancing in drum corps for DECADES. When people say stuff like that it makes me wonder if they have in fact ever even seen a drum corps.

It’s easy for us to forget, that many of the Old School favorites, were innovative in their day, and at times controversial. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Des Plaines Vanguard played some WSS in 72.

They will not be competing in 2022.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Re layering of body  -well the skin is on the outermost layer, with muscles under that followed by the bone layer.  If talking abdomen there is also the 'innards' layer (to use the technical term).

Always think of “Skynyrds Innyrds”... best of album but prefer the live “One More From The Road” 😁

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1