Who's Your Godfather?

So, we've been enumerating corps "of the past" lately, and as interesting as that is, it's starting to feel like reading the obituary section to me. I am as big a nostalgia fan as there is, but it's a bit sad to see all those names, and we know there are hundreds more. I'd like to suggest we flip this to the positive just a bit. After all, many of these corps were quite influential and left legacies.

Name a contemporary corps whose roots and/or style can be traced to an earlier organization, its "Godfather", so to speak. For example:

PRESENT CORPS                                           GODFATHER

Jersey Surf                                                      Bayonne Bridgemen

Carolina Crown                                              Suncoast Sound

2 hours ago, KeithHall said:

This is a hard question

Well, it does require a little reflection, but "roots" could mean staff, city, or corps that morphed via mergers...etc.

In the last case, I am thinking of one from among the current DCI finalists whose "godfathers" included 3 smaller units.

The "staff" link isn't so hard to decode. Think of 2 other finalists, the greater portion of whose "original" staffs came from 2  others in the general area, both finalists in their own right, and no longer with us.

Of course, a given present day corps could have many godparents, for any number of the reasons stated above.

"City" is the easiest category, "Style" the most difficult, since today's groups can turn on a dime in that regard so that connection is tougher to make unless you go back a few years.

In a sense, there are no "wrong" answers here since everybody was influenced by everyone else, at least to some degree.

OK, perhaps this riddle is a bit arcane. Suppose the question becomes:

"What present corps show clear influences from corps of the past?"

e.g.

Present                               Past                                                                Commonalities

Blue Devils                         Anaheim Kingsmen                                   staff, musical style, original uniforms               

SCV                                      Chicago Royalaires                                    emphasis on technique, (Royalaires were Royer's favorite corps.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/24/2020 at 6:36 PM, ironlips said:

In the last case, I am thinking of one from among the current DCI finalists whose "godfathers" included 3 smaller units.

The Crossmen (obviously...LOL).

A merger of Eastern State Circuit corps Keystone Regiment and 507 Hornets.  And also members from the Buxmont Raiders, perhaps?

What corps merged to turn the Skokie Vanguard into a powerhouse fro 65 on? I just can't remember ...

14 hours ago, ironlips said:

...and a Bingo for the "Voice of Drum Corps", the incomparable Fran Haring. Esq.

The check is in the mail. :tongue:

7 hours ago, ironlips said:

Just a guess...McHenry Viscounts?

BHOF brother Dave Hill would know for sure. I think he was in both corps.

I always thought it was McHenry but someone corrected me and now I can't remember the Corps name ...

Edited by ajlisko