THIS IS HUGE - Columbus Saints | Fee Reduction & B-Flat Brass!

2 hours ago, burdettsky said:

The guy answered your questions, what's your deal?  

Received an explanation, but my question wasn’t answered as to why anyone thought it was a good business decision to knowingly lose money instead of making a profit then brag about saving 3k because of the decision made. That’s the deal sweetie! 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Received an explanation, but my question wasn’t answered as to why anyone thought it was a good business decision to knowingly lose money instead of making a profit then brag about saving 3k. That’s the deal sweetie! 

to quote a famous sales manager, sometimes you have to make a little to eventually make a lot.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

Received an explanation, but my question wasn’t answered as to why anyone thought it was a good business decision to knowingly lose money instead of making a profit then brag about saving 3k because of the decision made. That’s the deal sweetie! 

<plonk>

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Duh! Would you care to explain the upside of that decision, or do you only have time to quote some anonymous famous sales manager? 

sure....outreach. building ties. maybe gaining members and/or staff.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

sure....outreach. building ties. maybe gaining members and/or staff.

I doubt seriously that any of that happened or they would still be willing to take a 3k hit this season instead of the boastfulness that they’re saving 3k by not doing so. From a financial perspective they made a better decision to no longer continue to do so. IMO Reduction in fees and new brass will be better for recruiting then the 3k hit to travel to Wisconsin via Chicago to do band show exhibitions for free. I guess we will have to wait and see which one is the better business decision. 

Edited by Poppycock

10 hours ago, Poppycock said:

I doubt seriously that any of that happened or they would still be willing to take a 3k hit this season instead of the boastfulness that they’re saving 3k by not doing so. From a financial perspective they made a better decision to no longer continue to do so. IMO Reduction in fees and new brass will be better for recruiting then the 3k hit to travel to Wisconsin via Chicago to do band show exhibitions for free. I guess we will have to wait and see which one is the better business decision. 

i didn't say it was automatically good. i said there could be upside. i understand thebusiness of drum corps. i've been involved in the good and the bad sides of drum corps financials. i actually try to look for positves if possible...just when DCA as an overall circuit is involved, well..not much to find

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

i didn't say it was automatically good. i said there could be upside. i understand thebusiness of drum corps. i've been involved in the good and the bad sides of drum corps financials. i actually try to look for positves if possible...just when DCA as an overall circuit is involved, well..not much to find

Who are you trying to convince me or yourself? The decision to take a 3k hit was obviously a bad one. Lesson learned! 

On 2/18/2020 at 12:16 PM, Poppycock said:

The primary reason we went to Whitewater and Racine was because originally it was the only SoundSport show in early July after the Bowling Green show ended in 2016. We continued going in 2017-2019 for outreach, community relations, and to allow for an early season read of the show before heading to SoundSport, then DCA shows. From a financial perspective we got to perform at 2-3 shows ; on the field with a full judges tapes and the ability to make $300-500 in souvenirs; for the price we'd pay for exhibition and tickets for 2 DCI shows as an exhibition corps while not being able to sell souvies.

Additionally, each year we had the opportunity to partner with local programs; bring the drum corps activity to ignored communities in Chicago and Milwaukee while also having the privilege of being able to donate uniforms, and other equipment to programs. In the grand scheme of competitive drum corps; it doesn't make sense. In the scheme of drum corps being a community activity and it being important to our values to invest, develop, and build a community through music - it's priceless. As such we are discussing plans for returning to Chicago in the coming years to participate in the Bud Biliken Parade and hold a clinic. 

Here is an article detailing our Chicago outreach during our 2017 MACBDA tour.https://www.columbussaints.org/saints-hold-community-event-west-side-chicago/

Here is a video announcing the tour kickoff and more: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lcarlton said:

bring the drum corps activity to ignored communities in Chicago and Milwaukee. 

able to donate uniforms, and other equipment to programs. 

As such we are discussing plans for returning to Chicago in the coming years to participate in the Bud Biliken Parade and hold a clinic. 

Ignored - considering how many drum corps were from those areas at one time - hardly! today it’s a microcosm of society and those organizations will never return.   

Didn’t your equipment and uniforms get stolen? Needed GoFundMe and other donations to even make it on the field last season, yet had a surplus of additional uniforms and equipment to give away to other programs. Interesting 🧐 

The Bud Billiken Parade - aka it’s time to go back to school in Chicago parade. Your vision is admirable but not very realistic. Best of luck and future success  

Edited by Poppycock