THIS IS HUGE - Columbus Saints | Fee Reduction & B-Flat Brass!

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

Ignored - considering how many drum corps were from those areas at one time - hardly! today it’s a microcosm of society and those organizations will never return.   

Didn’t your equipment and uniforms get stolen? Needed GoFundMe and other donations to even make it on the field last season, yet had a surplus of additional uniforms and equipment to give away to other programs. Interesting 🧐 

The Bud Billiken Parade - aka it’s time to go back to school in Chicago parade. Your vision is admirable but not very realistic. Best of luck and future success  

The community center started a drum corps last year called the Chicago Hornets and participated in DCI Soundsport, using the uniforms we donated with many of the alumni of the former corps St Andrew's Hornets.

We've never run a GoFundMe, but we did run a campaign to replace items that were stolen. We raised $4K in March which went towards rental trucks to move gear, renting front ensemble equipment, and after recovering the trailer and equipment repairing the damaged instruments. We finished the season without any issues and the equipment fundraiser merely replaced our regular fundraiser. 

The uniforms were donated by Lake Erie Regiment to Erie Thunderbirds who then donated them to us. Since we are often a catch all for donated equipment which we donate to local schools, community centers etc we accepted and donated the uniforms the Soundsport team Hornets. We also donated a set of uniforms from Mount Vernon HS in Ohio we received for free, to a Drum line in Milwaukee on tour. Our current uniforms were also donated to us from Newark HS in Ohio. We've also donated uniforms to other organizations like the former Soundsport team Horizon in Texas. We recently just donated instruments and uniforms to Columbus City Schools including student trumpets, bongos, timbales, helmets, a Spanish student guitar, bell kits, uniforms, Aussie hats and shakos. 

The Bud Biliken Parade takes place the weekend of DCI World Championships, nearly three weeks before the end of our season. We feel that instead of doing nothing, if we can find another host it would be worthwhile exploring attending a community outreach opportunity. 

Thank you for the support! We've been going strong for nearly 20 years and while the corps travels less than the drum line and drill team, we are happy to be able to offer expanded programs. 

Edited by lcarlton

6 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Who are you trying to convince me or yourself? The decision to take a 3k hit was obviously a bad one. Lesson learned! 

not everything is about making money.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lcarlton said:

Thank you for the support! We've been going strong for nearly 20 years and while the corps travels less than the drum line and drill team, we are happy to be able to offer expanded programs. 

I’m understanding now, community outreach worker who puts together an outreach strategy, providing strategic communications for inter-city communities in return for government funding.

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stldrmn1 said:

"POPPYCOCK," what All-Age corps financially breaks even, at what show ?  

Regards, Stldrmn

What I’ve learned about All-Age is they’re training corps with high school age kids, both corps and members have very little money, compete in an inept run circuit that doesn’t have a large fan following, and thinks it’s a good idea to hold their championships over Labor Day weekend. 

Edited by Poppycock

2 hours ago, Poppycock said:

It comes in pretty handy around here pal!

it does. but i know at our peak, we did things that didn't make money, but got the name out there and helped grow recruiting for members and staff. what killed us was external activities etting mixed with corps funds, the idiotic decision to try and create a D3 corps, and later new management more focused on vengeance and a return to a model 30 years outdated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

it does. but i know at our peak, we did things that didn't make money, but got the name out there and helped grow recruiting for members and staff. what killed us was external activities etting mixed with corps funds, the idiotic decision to try and create a D3 corps, and later new management more focused on vengeance and a return to a model 30 years outdated.

Let me guess, they no longer exist. Focus  has to be on ROI. 

3 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Let me guess, they no longer exist. Focus  has to be on ROI. 

oh why no longer existing is kinda touched in the historical forum here: