THIS IS HUGE - Columbus Saints | Fee Reduction & B-Flat Brass!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2020 at 10:33 AM, Algernon said:

what were the changes to the tour?

The Saints withdrew from the MACBDA circuit for 2020 which removed our three day tour including our Urban West Side Chicago Clinic/Outreach, MACBDA Prelims in Racine, and MACBDA Finals in Whitewater allowing for a cost savings of nearly $3K.

On 2/12/2020 at 10:52 AM, lcarlton said:

The Saints withdrew from the MACBDA circuit for 2020 which removed our three day tour including our Urban West Side Chicago Clinic/Outreach, MACBDA Prelims in Racine, and MACBDA Finals in Whitewater allowing for a cost savings of nearly $3K.

So you figured out that your organization is not a band from Wisconsin and that saved 3k! Okay fine! 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Poppycock said:

So you figured out that your organization is not a band from Wisconsin and that saved 3k! Okay fine! 

Not quite, MACBDA isn't just bands from Wisconsin, it also has units from Canada and other drum corps like Shadow participating still in exhibition.

The larger issue was around the loss of our Chicago lodging relationship that made travel more difficult and doubled the cost. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lcarlton said:

Not quite, MACBDA isn't just bands from Wisconsin, it also has units from Canada and other drum corps like Shadow participating still in exhibition.

The larger issue was around the loss of our Chicago lodging relationship that made travel more difficult and doubled the cost. 

Share with me and help me understand why it was a good business decision to travel to Wisconsin via Chicago from Columbus to do exhibitions in MACBDA for free? 

• Haha 1

On 2/15/2020 at 9:34 AM, Poppycock said:

Share with me and help me understand why it was a good business decision to travel to Wisconsin via Chicago from Columbus to do exhibitions in MACBDA for free? 

1.) Consistently corps travel to shows at a loss because the payout is not enough to cover travel. Whether it be a DCI or DCA show, if you get a bus the payout for corps will not cover the transportation costs to get to the show. As such, most corps that provide travel will be operating at a loss of revenue greater than what they'd make at the show. The difference is they get a score so I guess that's fine in your eyes. The corps went to a June DCA show last year six hours away at a net loss of $1K - but we got an early season score.

2.) Community outreach is very important to the Saints and has been since our founding. While the organization is smaller and travels significantly less than it did 10 years ago, visiting Chicago has been a consistent experience as it's strong for community building and sharing the activity in under served urban areas. We are discussing with a local military school on returning to Chicago in the coming years to visit the West Side and South Side again, potentially marching in the Bud Buliken Parade.

3.) The Saints were members of MACBDA from 2017-2019 receiving a score for their performances. In 2016, the Saints traveled to Wisconsin for the MACBDA SoundSport event along with Lakeshoremen from Michigan. Shadow participates in exhibition as has a few other corps like Pioneer in the past. 

I hope this answers your outstanding questions.

Good Day

Edited by lcarlton