Looks like a moderate Madison infusion into Rosemont

2 hours ago, dbc03 said:

There isn't a long history of systematic oppression of men perpetuated by female-exclusive groups, so the two aren't comparable.

“Oppression” - wow

and there were many decades of exclusively female groups - some incredibly great — that I’m quite sure local boys were “oppressed” by

Cadets and many others were exclusively male for many decades 

the USA senate was exclusively male and now it’s not 

the presidency has been all male

that will change, probably in the next decade or so

this thread is really something! The lack of compassion and comprehension and knowledge and the various obvious agenda are really unbelievable 

do folks not know men have been going from Scouts to Cavaliers for decades - especially the last decade or two, but yes in the 90s and even before 

cavaliers have many championship - even pre DCI

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Carets and many others were exclusively male for many decades 

Are you trying to refute or prove my point?

48 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

There isn't a long history of systematic oppression of men perpetuated by female-exclusive groups, so the two aren't comparable.

No but if women had their own corps that men weren't allowed in nobody would say anything because they would have a "safe space" from men. It's simple as that. Nobody is talking oppression. You don't have sororities allowing men in do you? Or fraternities allowing women in. It's the same thing and anyone who says otherwise is in denial. Nobody here can help that there aren't any all female corps still alive and well, but if there were Madison may not have felt the need/pressure to make the move in this PC world we live in. Which I believe has gone too far, and no it's not because of Madison. 

48 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

“Oppression” - wow

and there were many decades of exclusively female groups - some incredibly great — that I’m quite sure local boys were “oppressed” by

Carets and many others were exclusively male for many decades 

that will change, probably in the next decade or so

this thread is really something! The lack of compassion and comprehension and knowledge and the various obvious agenda are really unbelievable 

do folks not know men have been going from Scouts to Cavaliers for decades - especially the last decade or two, but yes in the 90s and even before 

cavaliers have many championship - even pre DCI

The oppression comment is honestly quite funny to me, being a gay male. Lets talk about being drug behind pickup trucks, robbed beat and left for dead, Stonewall, marriage, not being able to order a cake from a store, or being used as slaves for dirty old men at parties because they hid their fetishes from their wives in ancient greece. Women weren't allowed to vote, hold office, write, read, sold as livestock, etc. or not allowed to march in a drum corps because it's all male.  Apples and oranges if you ask me, but not being able to march a corps because they don't allow your gender is certainly not oppresive. 

Also, where was the outrage when Phantom decided to not allow men in their guard again after 2008? Sure there were a few, but not to the point of Madison allowing the other gender among their ranks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

No but if women had their own corps that men weren't allowed in nobody would say anything because they would have a "safe space" from men.

Yes, exactly, because there are differences based on historical context.

It's simple as that. Nobody is talking oppression. You don't have sororities allowing men in do you? Or fraternities allowing women in. It's the same thing and anyone who says otherwise is in denial.

There are both sororities with men and fraternities with women. Since we're all coming from a music background KKY and TBS are examples of both.

Nobody here can help that there aren't any all female corps still alive and well, but if there were Madison may not have felt the need/pressure to make the move in this PC world we live in. Which I believe has gone too far, and no it's not because of Madison. 

And I don't believe that any educational organization should exclude women. There is no good reason to do so, and history will look on them in the same way that we now look on "white only" organizations from 50 years ago.

8 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

The oppression comment is honestly quite funny to me, being a gay male. Lets talk about being drug behind pickup trucks, robbed beat and left for dead, Stonewall, marriage, not being able to order a cake from a store, or being used as slaves for dirty old men at parties because they hid their fetishes from their wives in ancient greece. Women weren't allowed to vote, hold office, write, read, sold as livestock, etc. or not allowed to march in a drum corps because it's all male.  Apples and oranges if you ask me, but not being able to march a corps because they don't allow your gender is certainly not oppresive. 

I think you are vastly underselling the oppression that women have gone through over the centuries. It doesn't take anything away from the oppression that the LGBTQ community have gone through, but it doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. Both groups have had really ###### things happen to them

Also, where was the outrage when Phantom decided to not allow men in their guard again after 2008? Sure there were a few, but not to the point of Madison allowing the other gender among their ranks.

For the record, I was against this as well and have said as much.

600px-Destiny_Child_at_Super_Bowl_XLVII_
p01bqlxt.jpg
the_go_gos_copy.jpg

"Oppressors!" 😎

The Cavaliers are a boy band, not an "educational institution". If being all-male is the vibe they want to roll with, it's no more or less significant than any of the girl groups pictured, and makes absolutely no difference to anyone else's lives.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

The Cavaliers are a boy band, not an "educational institution". If being all-male is the vibe they want to roll with, it's no more or less significant than any of the girl groups pictured, and makes absolutely no difference to anyone else's lives.

"Our mission is to provide members with life-changing experiences, educationally and socially, which help each individual member gain real-world life skills, musical training, and performance experience. Through the development of the character traits of dedication, discipline, and teamwork, each member of this close-knit, all-male fraternity learns what is required to be successful on and off the performance field."

That sounds like an educational organization to me

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dbc03 said:

And I don't believe that any educational organization should exclude women. There is no good reason to do so, and history will look on them in the same way that we now look on "white only" organizations from 50 years ago.

Make sure to include the all male and all female boarding schools. Guess they should go co-ed too, even though some have been that way for hundreds of years. Or the all african american colleges. Don't want to oppress anyone else. 

Edited by Incognito365