Looks like a moderate Madison infusion into Rosemont

13 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Make sure to include the all male and all female boarding schools. Guess they should go co-ed too, even though some have been that way for hundreds of years. Or the all african american colleges. Don't want to oppress anyone else. 

If a corps explicitly excluded LGBTQ people would you support that? Why or why not?

1 hour ago, dbc03 said:

"Our mission is to provide members with life-changing experiences, educationally and socially, which help each individual member gain real-world life skills, musical training, and performance experience. Through the development of the character traits of dedication, discipline, and teamwork, each member of this close-knit, all-male fraternity learns what is required to be successful on and off the performance field."

That sounds like an educational organization to me

I think you missed something in the mission statement.  

Just as I don't believe that there's anything wrong with gay chambers of commerce, the Girl Scouts, or the VFW, I don't have a problem with private institutions setting their own definitions of what qualifies an individual for membership. Guess I'm ok with letting other people live their own lives of their own choosing. 

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, dbc03 said:

Are you trying to refute or prove my point?

Neither. I just don't get the "implication" that males are suddenly fleeting Scouts due to going coed - I don't buy it. This sounds a bit like the chicken and the egg - Scouts had a tough season - lots of folks jump ship after a tough season to go to another corps they feel will be better for them

I'd encourage everyone to let this play out and trust that these young members are a lot more aware and evolved than perhaps some folks think 

But if there's members who want an all-male corps - then go for it! Doesn't mean they hate women or anything...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

I think you missed something in the mission statement.  

Just as I don't believe that there's anything wrong with gay chambers of commerce, the Girl Scouts, or the VFW, I don't have a problem with private institutions setting their own definitions of what qualifies an individual for membership. Guess I'm ok with letting other people live their own lives of their own choosing. 

I didn't miss anything. I am aware that the Cavaliers are an all-male corps, it isn't a very good "gotcha" to point that out. I don't think they should exclude women, but I acknowledge that they do.

3 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

I didn't miss anything. I am aware that the Cavaliers are an all-male corps, it isn't a very good "gotcha" to point that out. I don't think they should exclude women, but I acknowledge that they do.

And they can. And apparently they want to. And apparently 150 members want that atmosphere

So - there ya go! 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

. Or the all african american colleges.

I thought the historically Black colleges were open to students of all races.... at least Howard University is...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

"Although HBCUs were originally founded to educate black students, their diversity has increased over time. In 2015, students who were either white, Hispanic, Asian or Pacific Islander, or Native American made up 22% of total enrollment at HBCUs, compared with 15% in 1976." -Wikipedia

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

And they can. And apparently they want to. And apparently 150 members want that atmosphere

So - there ya go! 

Lots of people wanting to do something doesn't make it right. As an extreme example, lots of people join white nationalist groups. Lots of people wanted segregated schools. Lots of people want laws against homosexuality.

I don't put all male drum corps on the same level as those things, but it is still discriminatory and wrong in my opinion. I realize that here of all places my opinion is not a popular one, but I think history will ultimately side with me. 

1 hour ago, dbc03 said:

Lots of people wanting to do something doesn't make it right. As an extreme example, lots of people join white nationalist groups. Lots of people wanted segregated schools. Lots of people want laws against homosexuality.

I don't put all male drum corps on the same level as those things, but it is still discriminatory and wrong in my opinion. I realize that here of all places my opinion is not a popular one, but I think history will ultimately side with me. 

I can't believe you just compared all male drum corps to a white nationalist group. Read up on Harvard and it's (losing) court battles with single-sex clubs and organizations if you want to learn more about what is and isn't considered "discriminatory" 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I can't believe you just compared all male drum corps to a white nationalist group. Read up on Harvard and it's (losing) court battles with single-sex clubs and organizations if you want to learn more about what is and isn't considered "discriminatory" 

Nothing surprises me on DCP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2