Looks like a moderate Madison infusion into Rosemont

2 hours ago, dbc03 said:

"Bad trumpet player" isn't a class of people that has been systematically discriminated against in our society, so I have no problem excluding bad trumpet players from drum corps.

They are DEFINITELY a 'class of people' who have been discriminated against in drum corps. There's no way to argue otherwise. They are, in fact, the ONLY real group (along with bad drummers and bad guard people) who have been discriminated against BECAUSE OF WHAT THEY ARE - to wit, bad horn players.

Drum corps says "we'll take you and you and you....but YOU, bad horn player, NO, you can't join."

By definition, that is 'discrimination."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Slingerland said:

They are DEFINITELY a 'class of people' who have been discriminated against in drum corps. There's no way to argue otherwise. They are, in fact, the ONLY real group (along with bad drummers and bad guard people) who have been discriminated against BECAUSE OF WHAT THEY ARE - to wit, bad horn players.

Drum corps says "we'll take you and you and you....but YOU, bad horn player, NO, you can't join."

How about poor etc, etc.....

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Slingerland said:

They are, in fact, the ONLY real group (along with bad drummers

I resemble that remark....

My first audition, Spirit of Atlanta 1986 one of the comments that was made was "I have every confidence that you could play the book perfectly...if you weren't having to march while doing it." 

🤣

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Ahh yes, you got me! 

Oh wait, no you didn't.

First of all, I'll let you read the definition of discriminate: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/discriminate

You'll see that differentiating based on merit is not discrimination.

Second of all, you are intentionally making a bad faith argument and I will not engage you any further.

7 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

How about poor etc, etc.....

The cost of the activity on the participants is a much bigger issue than The Cavaliers not allowing women. The activity is becoming more and more a rich kid's game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, dbc03 said:

You know very well that I wasn't equating male only drum corps with white nationalist groups because you read the second part of my post. They were specifically called out as extreme examples because your argument that all male drum corps are fine because people want them is flawed.

Having a private organization wanting to be all male is NOT discrimination. Legally or otherwise.

You lost the debate big time when you brought up white supremacy. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1