Looks like a moderate Madison infusion into Rosemont

13 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

Hooters is for gross old men and teenagers who want to sexualize and objectify young women and eat food that tastes like garbage.

Thats funny considering I went there not a month ago (gay male) with my sister (married to a male), our best friend (engaged to a male), and my nephew to eat. It was FULL with families, and I had the best burger of my life! 

For those wondering, it was the bacon mac n cheese burger. 👌👌👌

Edited to add: Every single one of these young women that you're claiming to be "objectified" were wearing yoga pants and hoodies, because they are allowed to if they feel the need or are cold. 

Edited by Incognito365
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

It's almost like ya'll are responding to only the first part of my post and ignoring the rest of my post because it is inconvenient to your argument. Shocking.

I don't believe I ever brought up or used the word equality, I just said I don't think that drum corps shouldn't have membership policies that discriminate against women.

You are right that allowing women only organizations but not allowing men only organizations isn't equal, but depending on the circumstances it can be equitable.

Equality-equity-justice-lores.png

Anyway, this has been fun, but I think the conversation has gone as far as it can and I'm not going to keep responding to bad faith arguments. I realize that I'm not going to change the opinion of anyone I'm interacting with, but my hope is that maybe someone reading along will at least give their position on the matter a second thought. 

No, we're commenting on the hypocrisy of your posts, but thank god you decided to stop. I would say while you're ahead, but...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, dbc03 said:

For what it is worth I think you should have been allowed to be a rifle too

No. I should not have been.  Had I wanted to be one bad enough I should/could have auditioned for Madison, or the Cavaliers.  I was free to.  Just like any female today can join any other corps other than the Cavaliers.  They are no more "discriminatory" than the WNBA, or any other all female group.

I hope I live long enough to see this cult of victimhood pass, but I doubt it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Slingerland said:

They are DEFINITELY a 'class of people' who have been discriminated against in drum corps. There's no way to argue otherwise. They are, in fact, the ONLY real group (along with bad drummers and bad guard people) who have been discriminated against BECAUSE OF WHAT THEY ARE - to wit, bad horn players.

Drum corps says "we'll take you and you and you....but YOU, bad horn player, NO, you can't join."

By definition, that is 'discrimination."

OMG, when will society understand this.

On 2/7/2020 at 11:47 PM, dbc03 said:

I know of at least one

they were an army of one of one heard

14 hours ago, George Dixon said:

And sold it for a reason. 

yet you come and act surprised

12 hours ago, FlamMan said:

What the heck is gross about Hooters and the Miss America pageant? You better stay away from the beach and swimming pools. Ewww!!! Scantily clad Girls who are doing it by choice!

have you eaten some of Hooters food? oh and they don't serve Jack Daniels. that's discrimination against whiskey and bourbon lovers

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dbc03 said:

Fine, gross, unfamiliar, gross, I consider all MLMs to be a scam.

Your real question is do I have a problem with groups that discriminate against men by membership to only women. The answer is it depends. Sometimes the benefits to women can outweigh the cons to men.

I don't even have a firm categorical disapproval of men's only groups. I can't think of any specific ones of the top of my head that I think are good, but I'm open to the idea. Maybe a support group for men who have been abused by a spouse? I just don't put drum corps in that bucket.

It's not a black and white thing, the world is complicated.

Most of your arguments here are thin, weak, and poorly-defended, but the profound nature of this statement convinces me that you have a deep and thoughtful understanding of the issue's salient points. /s

The "angry white men" of the drum corps community have done a pretty good job of bringing this activity to hundreds of thousands of kids while being among the most open and inviting activities available today.  You're welcome if you can manage to hurl a Thank You out with the vomit you're spewing.  You're entitled to your own opinion, and you're entitled to come here and try to make your point against the activity.

I will welcome the evidence of current systematic discrimination you describe in drum corps (to date, headed by mostly "white men").  Rule books, policy manuals, regulations...anything in writing that demonstrates your point OTHER THAN "We choose to be an all-male group".  Something tells me that, for you, this issue goes well beyond whether or not Madison or Cavies are all-male.

• Like 1