Looks like a moderate Madison infusion into Rosemont

20 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Live about a 10 minute drive from the inner city.... why don’t you enlighten us with what “poor” kids are really like. And tell me what corps today help inner city kids....

Oh my, no thanks.

26 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Live about a 10 minute drive from the inner city.... why don’t you enlighten us with what “poor” kids are really like. And tell me what corps today help inner city kids....

I remember my father talking quite a bit about Bridgemen (who his niece marched with,) and how much they brought to Bayonne. There are opportunities now for folks to march who might have the finances available to do it without assistance, but it is definitely a different dynamic. 

2 hours ago, dbc03 said:

You and others are ascribing a lot of beliefs to me that don't exist. I agree that drum corps is overall pretty inclusive, although I think there is room for improvement, diversity is difficult when the cost of entry is approaching $5000. As I said before, it is becoming a rich kid's game. In terms of gender and LGBTQ inclusion in corps membership it is easily the most inclusive activity that I've been involved with (It would be nice to see a better balance in corps leadership, but that's an argument for another day).

I still like and support drum corps. I go to shows, I financially support a corps, I spend free time debating how to make things better on an internet forum. Drum corps made me who I am today, and I'm grateful for it. I'm grateful to the men and women of all colors who have contributed to the activity, yes even including the white men.

I even like The Cavaliers. I imagine that like most corps they do a lot of good for their members. I typically enjoy their shows, and hope that eventually they get back to mid-2000s form (maybe expanding the talent pool would help 😝). I don't think they should exclude women though. I don't think they are bad people, I don't think they are all being intentionally sexist, I just think that in this case they are wrong and I wish they would change.

It's fine that people don't agree, obviously we all think we are right, but I've given a lot of thought to my reasons for feeling this way and I've explained them the best I can. Don't confuse the passion with which I explain my convictions with the amount I care about the specific situation. I think The Cavaliers should allow women. I'm not protesting The Cavaliers, I'm not boycotting The Cavaliers, I don't hate The Cavaliers, I'm not even telling the people with the power to fix it that they should fix it. It's a drop in the bucket of what I believe are larger societal issues.

I've tried to be respectful and not attack anyone here (with the exception of Hooters patrons, but to be fair I feel more strongly about that than Cavies), but people obviously take it very personally. If anyone felt I was attacking them personally I apologize, but I do not apologize for my opinions. If stating and defending my opinions on the activity is "spewing hate" then maybe I'll change my username to Mt Vesuvius cause DCP is gonna be Pompeii 😁

Now sexist is being thrown out there. Jesus Christ. You do realize that ALL corps at one point or another were ALL male because they were under Boy Scout troops, right? Cavies and Madison were keeping that tradition alive. Get off your soapbox. Good lord.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Now sexist is being thrown out there. Jesus Christ. You do realize that ALL corps at one point or another were ALL male because they were under Boy Scout troops, right? Cavies and Madison were keeping that tradition alive. Get off your soapbox. Good lord.

If that's what you took from my message then you are just looking to fight, and I'm not going to give it to you anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I think that we have to be cognizant of the difference between being equitable and being inclusive. Drum and Bugle Corps is inclusive as members of all sexes, races and religions can march given that they have the talent and resources to do so. Digging in and going on the tilt-o-whirl of "what if's" doesn't do anyone a #### bit of good. There are corps available for all level of talent between DCI and DCA as well as ages. Now certain corps have a tradition of allowing only male members, just as corps in the past had all female members. That's their choice as they write the by-laws for their specific ensemble. However, it doesn't change the fact that the activity itself IS inclusive. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion and defend their opinion. When it starts just becoming a flame session or a ####### contest to see who can have the final barb, then we're just showing our own darkest side. 

Sometime I think that maybe we should have a Flames and Rants section on DCP that you have to actually sign up and join separately. 

40 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

All corps?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

A corps helping inner city kids?  Boston. Actually Boston’s parent org. IAM.

• Thanks 1