Looks like a moderate Madison infusion into Rosemont

this possibility was discussed

Edited by Jeff Ream

It's a reasonable question and discussion. When one auditions and/or becomes a member of a corps, its for certain reasons. I have to imagine with Madison and the Cavies, one of the reasons to join is the allure is being part of an all male corps, the "brotherhood". Same can be said for fraternities and sororities at Universities.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Jeffe77 said:

It's a reasonable question and discussion. When one auditions and/or becomes a member of a corps, its for certain reasons. I have to imagine with Madison and the Cavies, one of the reasons to join is the allure is being part of an all male corps, the "brotherhood". Same can be said for fraternities and sororities at Universities.

Exactly. What made the Scouts unique is now gone.

• Haha 1

I think these are the most compelling factors for students moving from Madison to the Cavaliers:

• An increase in competitive success
  • A greater challenge to take on
  • A desire to be a "blender" in a group versus a leader
  • A similar level of historical prestige (in the same way that the Cadets, Boston, etc have such alluring histories)
  • Geographic proximity
  • Friends in the Cavaliers who previously marched Madison (and, thus, can offer an insider's scoop on how the two groups compare)

With Madison having a slightly younger, more inexperienced cast these past two seasons, I think vets feel obligated to serve as leaders if they returned. Some are eager to take on that role and do so with such passion. Others, however, would rather march at a group where they just get to "do their job" and blend in with the rest of the ensemble on the field, vs being burdened with any off-field leadership roles.

In that sense, I feel like Madison has done a tremendous job at awakening students to the breadth of their potential (thanks to all the leadership training each member undergoes). It just so happens that, after becoming more self-aware, many students discover that their growth would happen more rapidly elsewhere; on the other hand, many students discover that Madison doesn't offer enough to satisfy their cravings for growth. If this is all true, it feels like the next step for Madison, then, is to find more ways to keep their students hungry. I'm hopeful that a more robust, competitive show this summer can do exactly that. 

All of this is to say: I think that the Madison students going to Cavaliers are simply seeking a more intense experience that better aligns with their personal desires. While the all-male brotherhood of the Cavaliers may resemble their social environment from Madison, I think this is an unimportant factor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, mint said:

I think these are the most compelling factors for students moving from Madison to the Cavaliers:

• An increase in competitive success
  • A greater challenge to take on
  • A desire to be a "blender" in a group versus a leader
  • A similar level of historical prestige (in the same way that the Cadets, Boston, etc have such alluring histories)
  • Geographic proximity
  • Friends in the Cavaliers who previously marched Madison (and, thus, can offer an insider's scoop on how the two groups compare)

With Madison having a slightly younger, more inexperienced cast these past two seasons, I think vets feel obligated to serve as leaders if they returned. Some are eager to take on that role and do so with such passion. Others, however, would rather march at a group where they just get to "do their job" and blend in with the rest of the ensemble on the field, vs being burdened with any off-field leadership roles.

In that sense, I feel like Madison has done a tremendous job at awakening students to the breadth of their potential (thanks to all the leadership training each member undergoes). It just so happens that, after becoming more self-aware, many students discover that their growth would happen more rapidly elsewhere; on the other hand, many students discover that Madison doesn't offer enough to satisfy their cravings for growth. If this is all true, it feels like the next step for Madison, then, is to find more ways to keep their students hungry. I'm hopeful that a more robust, competitive show this summer can do exactly that. 

All of this is to say: I think that the Madison students going to Cavaliers are simply seeking a more intense experience that better aligns with their personal desires. While the all-male brotherhood of the Cavaliers may resemble their social environment from Madison, I think this is an unimportant factor.

This is a VERY well thought-out and sensitive post.

Most especially is the rationale that Madison's is a younger "experience" and, for vets, Cavies are the next challenge.  Excellent thought and rationale, as well.

Thank you for helping me make an important point without using gasoline.

• Thanks 2

On 2/4/2020 at 1:30 PM, Jeffe77 said:

Edited by Fleur-de-Matt

I said this before and I'll say it again.

If there were still all female corps nobody would blink an eye about bringing up the brotherhood that the Cavaliers and Scouts have/had that made them unique in a negative light. 

Not sure why saying they lost their identity by bringing in all genders is considered bad now. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

If there were still all female corps nobody would blink an eye about bringing up the brotherhood that the Cavaliers and Scouts have/had that made them unique in a negative light. 

Not sure why saying they lost their identity by bringing in all genders is considered bad now. 

I would

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

Madison wishes it was about going coed and not other things that are more relevant.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611493eadbe5d8a07c5ac

Edited by Mello Dude