What are the largest stadiums to have hosted a DCI competition?

17 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

There was once a massive (over 100,000) stadium in Philadelphia that I believe hosted VFW Nationals (1969?). Can’t quickly remember the name, but I can tell you, I was once given a tour there by local Convention and Visitors Bureau officials when searching for a DCA Championship site back in the 1970s.

JFK. now parking lot/Wells Fargo Center/Lincoln Financial Field. also hosted the US portion of Live Aid

On 2/3/2020 at 6:37 AM, Fred Windish said:

Looked it up . . . .  that was John F. Kennedy Stadium, commonly know as JFK Stadium.  Capacity listed as 103,000, and VFW Nationals was in Philadelphia for 1969.

(this old mind needs a little time)

I see that for a boxing match in the 1920s, they got more than 120,000 in there.

The 1969 VFW Nationals were won by the Kilties, back when they were a junior corps. They beat out the Cavaliers and the Troopers.

The stadium was demolished in 1992. The last event held there seems to have been a Grateful Dead concert in 1989.

On 2/3/2020 at 4:37 AM, Fred Windish said:

Looked it up . . . .  that was John F. Kennedy Stadium, commonly know as JFK Stadium.  Capacity listed as 103,000, and VFW Nationals was in Philadelphia for 1969.

(this old mind needs a little time)

And was a #### good show.  Kilties blew the house down for the second time in a row.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DCIPhan78 said:

Rich Stadium in Buffalo (Finals in '95) holds like 78,000

Smallest would have to be stadium in Jackson,MS for '93 finals

Believe it or not, Jackson wasn't all that small (capacity = 60,492). 

Byrd Stadium in 2000 was the smallest, with capacity at the time that was only around 48,055.  Memorial Stadium in Bloomington was also relatively small (49,255 in 2008).  Interesting enough, both of those stadiums hosted the championships as a result of problems with the venue originally chosen for that year.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dream Theater said:

Uranus

?

On 2/7/2020 at 6:06 AM, Fred Windish said:

When speaking of ‘small,’ must not forget Whitewater and Ithaca !

Now you made we look as we spent few days in Finger Lakes and checked out Cornell. Not going to try to remember the stadiums name.... but about 25.5K capacity which I’m sure is both sides. Didn’t look that big when we drove by

Edited by JimF-LowBari