Another "Drum Corps" Grammy Award

Chick Corea, former soprano for the St. Rose Scarlet Lancers and recent inductee to the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame, picked up the Grammy last week for "Best Latin Jazz Recording", for his double album "Antidote".

Maybe some hipster program designer will take notice when planning for 2021. Chick being an avid fan of the activity, I think licensing and arranging permission deals would be very favorable in that case.

• Like 8

he's won 20 grammies and been nominated 60+ times.  his work gets better and better, imo.  

i think we romanticize the number of dci arrangers who have been able to take modern jazz and make it work on a football field.  bd 94's rep in the hands of anybody but downey or maybe boerma in that time period would've been a complete disaster.  it's lightning in a bottle.  

which dci arrangers in today's dci would you trust to take his amazing work and translate it for dci?  i can't think of any, and don't think i didn't try. 

don't get me wrong.  i want it.  i just don't want it mangled and chopped and bopped beyond recognition. 

Edited by Lance
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Lance said:

he's won 20 grammies and been nominated 60+ times.  his work gets better and better, imo.  

i think we romanticize the number of dci arrangers who have been able to take modern jazz and make it work on a football field.  bd 94's rep in the hands of anybody but downey or maybe boerma in that time period would've been a complete disaster.  it's lightning in a bottle.  

which dci arrangers in today's dci would you trust to take his amazing work and translate it for dci?  i can't think of any, and don't think i didn't try. 

don't get me wrong.  i want it.  i just don't want it mangled and chopped and bopped beyond recognition. 

I would trust Doug Thrower or Andrew Markworth. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

thrower would be the one i'd trust most, but the excellent work he's done is with a lot more lyrical material than corea's.

not saying i wouldn't want to hear what he could do, but i think it's pretty far-fetched in today'd dci.  

what's the last wgi show that went there?  i'm not joking when i say the future of dci is wgi.  

" the future of dci is wgi.  "

A viable premise. I think it's already materialized to a great extent.

As for arrangers, I wouldn't sell the current crop short. In addition to those luminaries already mentioned, there are a few others with very heavy pens, like Jay Bocook, JD Shaw and Chuck Naffier.

Beyond that, it would not surprise me if there were a couple in the woodwork about to break loose. What better way to make your bones than a Chick Corea chart.

Hint: No one has yet maximized synth/electric piano in our beloved activity. Chick's "Antidote" charts with their horn, keyboard and percussion mix just about scream contemporary drum corps.

Edited by ironlips
typo
  • Like 2