>"< Troopers 2020

2 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Truth. Can't win for losin'

That’s why more and more corps wait til may 

Yep just talked to a guy who watched his daughters cheerleading competition. Supposedly one school was using a cell phone for a music feed instead of a CD due to licensing. Great time to lose a signal and... yep... that happened. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

“We arrange from better composers than any other WC drum corps” convinced no musician anywhere to try out. 

“We play jazz.  You like jazz. Join us.”  — The Blue Devils

BD has a legacy. Troopers legacy is... hardly-known composers?

If music licensing is your weak left hook, then for gosh sakes don’t lead with it!

This feels like a tease to the judges, not the members. It’s February. They’re catching the second string already.  They shouldn’t be teasing now.  

Edited by garfield

10 minutes ago, garfield said:

“We arrange from better composers than any other WC drum corps” convinced no musician anywhere to try out. 

“We play jazz.  You like jazz. Join us.”  — The Blue Devils

BD has a legacy. Troopers legacy is... hardly-known composers?

DCI:  a barely known activity using works from barely known composers.  (But but...everybody knows Hans Zimmer!!!!)

Or how about:  

DCI:  constantly risking obscurity 

Edited by HockeyDad

6 hours ago, Algernon said:

The list of composers resonates very well with potential members. Maybe if you didn't apply what interests you with what would appeal to them it would make sense.

Plus you get to avoid a very disgusting act.

So many on here think that THEY should be the ones being recruited to march, not the actual students who will be marching. 

An 18-year-old music geek - probably the kind that corps like this are trying to attract - will like this show announcement. "I get to perform Sigur Ros?!? Yes please."

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

An 18-year-old music geek - probably the kind that corps like this are trying to attract - will like this show announcement. "I get to perform Sigur Ros?!? Yes please."

Are all corps members music geeks now? And someone would pick a corps based on whose music will be played over top of anything else? Choice of priorities in this is just amazing...

ok I googled the group... Troopers going to speak Icelandic for this? Been there for work and that would be worth a listen to hear English speakers trying to do it 😈

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

So many on here think that THEY should be the ones being recruited to march, not the actual students who will be marching. 

Hmm...  This is.. interesting.  Great point.

I have an 18yr old music geek who's literally walking out the door as I type on her way to indoor practice.  She's center marimba for the 3rd year, five years of symphonic band and four years of marching. Negative.  No idea what Sigur Ros is (I even hinted "composer".  No dice.)

Then I texted my 20 yr old band/drum corps geek college sophomore who plays in his college ensembles but is not a music major.  Nope, negative.  "Never heard of it."

Small sample, I know.  But... Can't Troopers come up with a universal message about the member experience that survives the fads and vagaries of this year's rep?  

I honor your point, though.  I don't think I should be deciding for them what they want and I don't think I am.

Edited by garfield

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yep just talked to a guy who watched his daughters cheerleading competition. Supposedly one school was using a cell phone for a music feed instead of a CD due to licensing. Great time to lose a signal and... yep... that happened. 

The individual teams wouldn’t have to take care of performance rights, that’s up to the venue. Now, if the performance is recorded or streamed, those are other licensing rights.  

54 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

And, I'm not picking on their use of Sigur Ros.  That's not the point at all.  The point is that this year's rep is going to change a dozen times and ways between now and the end of the season, and next year's rep picks will be completely different.  The consistency that will draw the most long-term supporters begins with the member experience and fan response, not the rep.  They have holes to fill; the odds of filling them with a random Sigur Ros fan are small but the odds of attracting a good player looking for a home is much, much larger.  They shouldn't be mysterious with mystic music.

And no, I'm not a hater.  I love the Troopers.

Edited by garfield