>"< Troopers 2020

36 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

HockeyDad also referred to unknown composers. Plus no one corrected your use of composer....

Yeah leave old Garfield alone and PICK ON ME

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Great point. 

The corps itself... the organization... the experience that the members have as part of that organization. (I hope I'm in the same ballpark here as your point.)

The Troopers, to me, have long had a certain mystique. A unique brand, as drum corps brands go. I wonder if that's still a good selling point for them to draw members, or has that ship sailed for them, and they're now just one of the pack chasing a finalist spot?

Yes and Yes.

12 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Um. . . .do other corps reveal their music lineups as a way to entice more people to auditions?

No? Then what makes us think the Troopers are doing it for that reason?

Actually, yes. To attract more people to auditions. 

Edited by HockeyDad

1 minute ago, HockeyDad said:

Yeah leave old Garfield alone and PICK ON ME

Irony is I’m probably older than both of ya..... 😫

26 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

I've said it before: Troopers could hand out $100 bills and they'd get criticized for it.

It's not as if Troopers don't know how to speak directly to the interests of its customer base, or how to play from the strength of their own heritage.

Jumping the gun on licensing is, indeed, a real concern, and one which the Troopers have had to heed in previous seasons, saving their show reveals until May. They've been around the block.

So here's an idea. It's wild, and preposterous, I know, because after all this is the Troopers we're talking about. But here it is anyway: Maybe, just maybe, the corps actually has its licensing sewn up for 2020. Maybe they know exactly what they're doing, and have been able to get their programming house in order good and early, in order to get a stronger start on the season.

I know, huh? Crazy talk.

And maybe, now that they have their program locked up, they want to share a bit about it with the drum corps world. You know, because excitement about the summer is, on balance, a good thing.

Fools! Dupes! Know-nothings!

Look, it's not like this video drop is the first and last word Troopers ever have, or ever will, say about themselves, their unique character, their place in the activity and the hearts of their members, or even their 2020 show.

It's. One. Video.

But no. We can't even enjoy it.

/rant

A well-balanced rant that is well-deserved.

This is DCP.  You can't expect to enjoy anything here.  You obviously didn't read the TOS.

I want Troopers to fill their holes with overqualified first-tier tryouts, not the second round.  This. Is. February.  They can't afford to waste time being cute.  This doesn't have anything to do with their rep but it has everything to do with attracting members and fans.  Shall we take a poll of those familiar with Sigur Ros or, heck, even Zimmer?!

And, not to pile on, but What does an artsy compass rose have to do with the sum of the parts anyway?  (I admit I might be too old to get this one although, as a pilot, I've stared at compass roses for decades and never considered its radials as "parts".)

Edited by garfield

7 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Actually, yes. To attract more people to auditions. 

If it is stipulated (and more than that, argued as more appropriate) that music reveals are, and should be, made in May and not February, how can their purpose be to attract more people to auditions? The lines are full by then.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

I will qualify my previous statements with this: The video does have a "join" tag at the end. But -- they put that at the end of just about every video they ever post. They are in invitation mode 365 days a year.

I get it.  And it's OK that your point still stands.  I apologized for peeing in the Cornflakes.

But, really, isn't attracting members a "sellers" market?  There are a WHOLE LOT more kids trying out than spots open so every impression is critical to fill spots with higher quality kids each year.

I see that DAVE contends that Troop's history has "sailed"; I strongly, most-earnestly disagree.  The can change colors and wear velvet cowboy hats but the Troopers "experience" is the only thing they now own that's unique.  In an activity of "new looks" and "new music" each and every year, the ONLY consistency in attracting and keeping members is that corps' "experience".

Same with PC, Mandarins, 'Coats, Crown and BD.

10 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

If it is stipulated (and more than that, argued as more appropriate) that music reveals are, and should be, made in May and not February, how can their purpose be to attract more people to auditions? The lines are full by then.

Then what was the point of the video?  To get us to come here and argue stupid stuff?

17 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

You're missing the point.  Music "reveals" are not what draws kids that come back.  Why are they wasting time on music reveals that they can't explain when they should be doing things and producing videos that bring a corps full of top-tier try-outs?

For those of us to whom rep is important, it's not important until the tour starts, really.  There's no good reason to be wasting time and energy touting composers or rep to get members.  Those same members will look around and leave if they don't like the music choices next year and energy will be wasted just trying to fill the same hole every darn year.

Rep and source music don't do that; theme, style, and tradition do.  Classical = Phantom, Jazz = BD.  Classic Americans = Cadets.  Western-theme music = ???

What's Troopers' theme, style, or tradition that makes kids come to tryouts?  What's the experience they provide - composers?

Edited by garfield
your, you're. Ughh