>"< Troopers 2020

1 hour ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

I've said it before: Troopers could hand out $100 bills and they'd get criticized for it.

It's not as if Troopers don't know how to speak directly to the interests of its customer base, or how to play from the strength of their own heritage.

Jumping the gun on licensing is, indeed, a real concern, and one which the Troopers have had to heed in previous seasons, saving their show reveals until May. They've been around the block.

So here's an idea. It's wild, and preposterous, I know, because after all this is the Troopers we're talking about. But here it is anyway: Maybe, just maybe, the corps actually has its licensing sewn up for 2020. Maybe they know exactly what they're doing, and have been able to get their programming house in order good and early, in order to get a stronger start on the season.

I know, huh? Crazy talk.

And maybe, now that they have their program locked up, they want to share a bit about it with the drum corps world. You know, because excitement about the summer is, on balance, a good thing.

Fools! Dupes! Know-nothings!

Look, it's not like this video drop is the first and last word Troopers ever have, or ever will, say about themselves, their unique character, their place in the activity and the hearts of their members, or even their 2020 show.

It's. One. Video.

But no. We can't even enjoy it.

/rant

I heart you 

57 minutes ago, garfield said:

You know it, you love it, you are it.

And I mock it. DrumcorpsAF regular feature 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Then what was the point of the video?  To get us to come here and argue stupid stuff?

This place doesn’t need a video to do that 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Daave said:

Yes and Yes.

Wow... if that's the case, then I'm more out of touch than I thought.  LOL.

4 hours ago, garfield said:

And, I'm not picking on their use of Sigur Ros.  That's not the point at all.  The point is that this year's rep is going to change a dozen times and ways between now and the end of the season, and next year's rep picks will be completely different.  The consistency that will draw the most long-term supporters begins with the member experience and fan response, not the rep.  They have holes to fill; the odds of filling them with a random Sigur Ros fan are small but the odds of attracting a good player looking for a home is much, much larger.  They shouldn't be mysterious with mystic music.

And no, I'm not a hater.  I love the Troopers.

My comment was more general, and it's something I notice so much on this message board - and I'm painting with a broad brush - fans seem to think they know more than young people about what they should like about drum corps. What I'm seeing in this thread was just one (though a minor) example. 

And you're right - Sigur Ros was just an example from the rep. It's generally a hip repertoire, and a cool theme. I could see how that video could get some students hyped up - maybe even get some short term interest. At a minimum, I don't see what it hurts. 

I'm shocked that a music geek wouldn't know who Sigur Ros is - an Icelandic rock band with some incredible ballads. In fact, even the Cadets pit knew who Sigur Ros was several years ago: 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I'm shocked that a music geek wouldn't know who Sigur Ros is - an Icelandic rock band with some incredible ballads. In fact, even the Cadets pit knew who Sigur Ros was several years ago: 

No music geek here lol. Work IT and lost the battle trying to keep up with new stuff there years ago.... just stay in my own niche (Unix and Oracle)

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 2

Reading through these and I start to think...."Wow! All these old experts on here and are just NOT with the times!" Seriously, maybe the music is cool enough to attract kids to join. Maybe the designers have some cool approach to the 2020 season. Maybe WE should stop living in the past and move on to the future! Face it ladies and gentlemen, the times they are a'changin" and all we are is spectators! We are like old veterans who say, "Back in my day......" Well drum corps has changed significantly and by now you should realize that the old days are gone! Tradition is not what it was!!!

• Thanks 1