Cadets and YEA new path forward

6 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

If they were there, would it matter? Every time @dans comes on here with some positive information from the camps, so many people want to question what he/she saw. But now, people are willing to defend a negative review of a (satellite) camp because that person was there. 

Essentially, these are all opinions. But I am willing to listen to the opinions of those who were there, regardless of whether it is negative or positive. That's what drum corps is. 

I read that it was a "Mandatory" Brass camp for 2020 members and also open auditions.

My understanding was that at mandatory camps attendance by all is usually required. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

I read that it was a "Mandatory" Brass camp for 2020 members and also open auditions.

My understanding was that at mandatory camps attendance by all is usually required. 

That’s what a mom who’d brought her son there told us.   
I think I’ll just skip drum corps camps from now on. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

Even during a "mandatory" camp, there may be several mm excused, but less than 50 brass and only 6 tubas has to be concerning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Even during a "mandatory" camp, there may be several mm excused, but less than 50 brass and only 6 tubas has to be concerning.

I think we've all been around drum corps long enough to know that camps are assigned as "mandatory" and then request after request arrive asking to be excused and the ideal/purpose of the rehearsal changes. With poorer turnout I doubt we'll see a Cadets "brass camp" in FL next year. Just a hunch

Cadets brass are not full. They are announcing a "few" spots remain. I don't think "a few" means 30.

However many corps have a "few spots" available right now. Crown for example has a few sop spots. 

There's a webinar on Thursday night - perhaps we'll get a public update on the spots available 

Cadets are clearly in rebuilding mode - and that's fine. The schedule will help. Several vets headed to BD, Crown & Boston from what I've heard

Also - this day and age missing camps and asking for a pass is MUCH more common. I run restaurants - "callouts" and "requests off" are probably ten times as common among young people than missed-shifts were 15-20 years ago. Culture has changed frankly, and not in a positive way for dependability sake

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, garfield said:

Is perpetual hand-wringing a concern or an affliction?

It. Was. A. Camp.  

It wasn't a full corps spring training.  It's auditions for prospective members.  How hard is that?  Did anyone expect they'd fill the corps from FL?  I'm sure they didn't.

Someone who knows DCI better than me define a “camp”. We had them too in Sr corps and had to have a real good reason to miss any part.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Also - this day and age missing camps and asking for a pass is MUCH more common. I run restaurants - "callouts" and "requests off" are probably ten times as common among young people than missed-shifts were 15-20 years ago. Culture has changed frankly, and not in a positive way for dependability sake

No wonder they’re begging Jim to not retire. 

12 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

They would require all brass members to travel to Florida? That can’t be right. 

What's the difference between requiring them all to fly into Philly vs whatever FL airport?  Airfare is airfare. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, rmm155 said:

What's the difference between requiring them all to fly into Philly vs whatever FL airport?  Airfare is airfare. 

Where are Cadets getting members from lately? No idea where Cadets FL camp is but at least Philly is a hub so possibly less chance of needing a second/connecting  flight

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rmm155 said:

Where they are geographically centered versus where they are not. Meaning if you live in Alabama and want to march Cadets, you expect to make some trips / flights to PA. If you live in West Chester, you probably aren't expecting to make a trip to Texas or Florida. I thought this camps were more of a regional recruitment effort.

Edited by cybersnyder
  • Thanks 1