Cadets and YEA new path forward

16 minutes ago, rmm155 said:

What's the difference between requiring them all to fly into Philly vs whatever FL airport?  Airfare is airfare. 

Believe it or not people live in places that are within driving distance to one place but not another. Crazy

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I think we've all been around drum corps long enough to know that camps are assigned as "mandatory" and then request after request arrive asking to be excused and the ideal/purpose of the rehearsal changes. With poorer turnout I doubt we'll see a Cadets "brass camp" in FL next year. Just a hunch

Cadets brass are not full. They are announcing a "few" spots remain. I don't think "a few" means 30.

However many corps have a "few spots" available right now. Crown for example has a few sop spots. 

There's a webinar on Thursday night - perhaps we'll get a public update on the spots available 

Cadets are clearly in rebuilding mode - and that's fine. The schedule will help. Several vets headed to BD, Crown & Boston from what I've heard

Also - this day and age missing camps and asking for a pass is MUCH more common. I run restaurants - "callouts" and "requests off" are probably ten times as common among young people than missed-shifts were 15-20 years ago. Culture has changed frankly, and not in a positive way for dependability sake

I watched the alumni webinar last night. Denise Bonfiglio announced that the Cadets percussion and pit are full and all are contracted, the brass line has a few open spots and they gained a couple new members at the camp this weekend, and the guard is 50% (which is ahead of this time last season) contracted. 

Edited by dans
Mistake
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

40 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Cadets brass are not full. They are announcing a "few" spots remain. I don't think "a few" means 30.

However many corps have a "few spots" available right now. Crown for example has a few sop spots. 

There's a webinar on Thursday night - perhaps we'll get a public update on the spots available 

Cadets are clearly in rebuilding mode - and that's fine. The schedule will help. Several vets headed to BD, Crown & Boston from what I've heard

As difficult as this might be for some people to read it’s certainly not what my expectations would be from a top 12 organization. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

As difficult as this might be for some people to read it’s certainly not what my expectations would be from a top 12 organization. 

Do you have any details from other top 12 corps about camp attendance for remote camps, number of open spots, etc?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

Do you have any details from other top 12 corps about camp attendance for remote camps, number of open spots, etc?

Do Cadets really need to be on the defense and ahead of all the chatter on DCP? That seems to be the expectation by some. Do people expect a press release explaining the how’s and why’s of a remote camp? Is this their first camp/audition in Florida? Is it something they wanted to experiment with and knew they might not have a huge turnout? I have no doubt Cadets will come out with a full brass section. Perhaps they’ll be young and inexperienced but it will be a full line. Everyone needs to take a deep breath and calm down.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Right now 6 of the top 12 including 3 of last years top six have brass openings 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, dans said:

I watched the alumni webinar last night. Denise Bonfiglio announced that the Cadets percussion and pit are full and all are contracted, the brass line has a few open spots and they gained a couple new members at the camp this weekend, and the guard is 50% (which is ahead of this time last season) contracted. 

And there ya go 

8 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

If they were there, would it matter? Every time @dans comes on here with some positive information from the camps, so many people want to question what he/she saw. But now, people are willing to defend a negative review of a (satellite) camp because that person was there. 

Essentially, these are all opinions. But I am willing to listen to the opinions of those who were there, regardless of whether it is negative or positive. That's what drum corps is. 

If someone was at camp and tells what they saw, how is that opinion? Prime example of why DCP has the reputation it has. You won’t find a more blunt force trauma honest person that Terri. Christ we love each other and still battle, usually to see who is more blunt force trauma inducing. 

the world is not out to get the Cadets. People wanted them to succeed in spite of Hop and got #### on for it. They still want them to succeed despite the myriad of Hop induced and non Hop induced. But yes people will have questions and some doubts, but that doesn’t make them haters. You want to see a corps that’s hated, look at BD for their amazing success. Yeah some people want to see the Cadets fail. But not everyone asking questions does. 

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, garfield said:

Is perpetual hand-wringing a concern or an affliction?

It. Was. A. Camp.  

It wasn't a full corps spring training.  It's auditions for prospective members.  How hard is that?  Did anyone expect they'd fill the corps from FL?  I'm sure they didn't.

But then there’s no DCP drama 

My thoughts are that with all of the tumult in the past 2 years, my expectations are very low. I hope that the corps can get on firm financial and organizational ground. If they can achieve that in 2020 and stay in the Top 12 - that would be success in my book. Any more is icing. 

• Like 2