Cadets and YEA new path forward

2 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

but why wasn't the board already in place?! that alone makes me think this is a bit of a banana republic. one of the main criticisms that haunted GH was that the board worked for him (and enabled him), rather than the correct way around. if you're gonna start fresh, DO IT RIGHT, and we have not done that.

Agree! Trying to mimic the success that GH had is clearly a we only know what we know type of management. 

4 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Agree! Trying to mimic the success that GH had is clearly a we only know what we know type of management. 

I mean.. maybe? But they also said they raised a ton of money last year so why change it if it ain't broke? They really should be looking at new ways of raising money in addition to what they're already doing. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BeachBum said:

But they also said they raised a ton of money last year so why change it if it ain't broke? They really should be looking at new ways of raising money in addition to what they're already doing. 

They decidedly did not raise a ton of money last year. They didn't even have the money to buy horns this year. A generous person bought the horns from Yamaha and is lending them to the corps for the summer.

• Thanks 2

Just now, exitmusic said:

They decidedly did not raise a ton of money last year. They didn't even have the money to buy horns this year. A generous person bought the horns from Yamaha and is lending them to the corps for the summer.

I don't think that's technically correct. I think they raised money but it was probably all spent on debt and crap, resulting in the generous person stepping in.  My two cents. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

but why wasn't the board already in place?!

How would the logistic of that work, though, in this case?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tim K said:

I can think of a few reasons. One, some answers may be vague, and there could be legitimate reasons why some things may be vague. Second, there are some who will only want to hear what they want to hear. For me, as long as what they say satisfies marching members, staff, parents, and donors, that is what matters most.

#### you using logic and reason on dcp

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/17/2020 at 6:20 PM, MikeD said:

The person was charged with a misdemeanor that was not a sexual charge at all. That is why the charge was able to be discharged. I read the file of the court actions a number of times; it was posted online. Whatever anyone thinks of the back-story, that is the legal side of what happened. 

I read them as well, and was simply noting a distinction— there was a trial, a jury did convict and a sentence was served. Only after the requisite time had passed and appropriate fee was paid was the matter cleared. Which is a little different than charges were dropped. That’s all. [And I’ll leave it at that. I don’t want to derail the thread any more.]

7 hours ago, garfield said:

You beat me to it. 

I can't help myself even as I dislike being "that guy".

It was definitely said in good fun, I promise. My own glass house wouldn’t stand much scrutiny, after all. But this one made me giggle. (I’m easily amused...)

edit- crap, I derailed again... 

Edited by year1buick

10 hours ago, lifeisaround said:

Not enough information about what is actually happening with the organization. None of that information gave me confidence that they are going to be okay. When the management team did not do enough research about a 501c3 and that they do need it to be able to fundraise. The fact that they did not answer how are they allowed to be in world class with a brand new 501c3 after the DCI rule changes... 

So many questions that were asked to a simple "We dont see any questions..." and ends the call before Denise can even say bye.... Wow... Not sure if thats the face you want to put for your first meeting as the new cadets! 

So to all the people saying "if you want answers, just ask the corps leadership"... what do you say now?

10 hours ago, lifeisaround said:

COO & CFO having NO FINANCE BACKGROUND or Running an organization background... That should be scary!! 

I've read your reflections here, and I went out searching Google this morning trying to identify any public CV or info about Moore.  I find nothing.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt to produce corroboration of your claim.  

EDIT: I read your next comment to the recap and you make this contention again.  You're looking as his past job titles and presume he's not qualified.  Your contention is that he's an IT guy who worked several jobs at YEA! and now has this "gig" with no org or finance background.

I'm not convinced that he's not a finance guy who knew IT enough to fix the finance system for George and got this "gig" because he knows how to say No and balance risk/reward.

There is a staff member who provides finance operations - it's not like he needs to know how to complete the 990 or balance the checkbook.  It does mean he knows the financial requirements of running a drum corps - because he's been there - and learned first-hand how to get them down the road.  What more does the head Opps and money-guy need to run a $1mm non-profit?  This is not Google or Uber.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1