• Guard is 50% contracted
  • Percussion full
  • Brass "down to single-digit holes"
  • Brass knows 33% of the show
  • Things are "going great" WRT the corps and the show
  • Spring training site TBD
  • "95%" of sponsors are "the same;" Denise "can't disclose" the few changes
  • New board TBA March 31
  • No new fundraising initiatives; same stuff: M&G, Power the Cadets; March-a-thon forms

Commentary:

• What are they doing? In any organization the BOARD is first and the BOARD hires the management team, not the other way around! The managers work FOR THE BOARD.
  • The COO has a "consulting company" that "supports non-profits." Uh.... what?
  • No spring training site?! IT'S LESS THAN 90 DAYS AWAY!
  • I feel exactly zero confidence in donating to this organization which hasn't provided any clear answers about whether it is a non-profit charity or not
  • ####

Just wait and see till April . Dont blow this out of proportion like everything else please. Then you can donate or not. we don't need to know if you do or not donate.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, BeachBum said:

This debate about 501c3, whether they can fundraise, whether your donation is tax deductible, where their board is, Etc. is just odd to me. 

They are not operating as their own organization yet. That’s not until March 31. 501c3 is YEA right now. Board is YEA right now. Donations are tax deductible right now. They can fundraise and you can donate - and write it off.  They said all of these details would be complete by March 31 when they transition. 

Why are we still talking about this? Am I missing something? 

Because there's a lot of unnecessary hand-wringing about Cadets' ability to collect support, about the qualifications of the staff, about whether DCI will allow them to march, and about whether Cadets are "legal" and able to solicit charitable contributions (among a myriad of other teeth-knashing "paramount" issues).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, garfield said:

This kind of hyperbole is simply not helpful.  You present a presumed factual history of one person and conflate that into an overbearing executive team searching for BoD members to be "Yes"-people.  If you are suggesting this, then I'll ask for corroboration or, if you can't corroborate it, a clarification that, while your statement may be true, you're NOT suggesting that Cadets are an example of that decision-making.

I get it - you don't trust these people.  OK.

Take a pill please and chill....

3 hours ago, garfield said:

Cadets are a 501c3.  Don't worry, you can give plenty and write it ALL off as a charitable contribution.

So, did you, are you, or will you?  Or does this criticism only relate to those who can and do give?

Your answer to the first question will help you determine if they should consider your answer to the second.

Last night Denise specifically said they DO NOT have a 501c3 at this time. They are in the process of applying for it. 

Until they have a BOD in place I believe they would not be able to even apply to the IRS. That tells me that the earliest they will even be able to apply for it is 4/1.

Remember the 501c3 is not only for contributions but is also a way for a non-profit to save on sales and other taxes!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

Last night Denise specifically said they DO NOT have a 501c3 at this time. They are in the process of applying for it. 

Until they have a BOD in place I believe they would not be able to even apply to the IRS. That tells me that the earliest they will even be able to apply for it is 4/1.

Remember the 501c3 is not only for contributions but is also a way for a non-profit to save on sales and other taxes!

OK, so write a check to YEA! and direct the donation be only used for Cadets.

As we stand here today, one can make a charitable donation to benefit the corps.  After they become a spun-off, stand along org, one can make a charitable donation to benefit the corps.

Edited by garfield
trying to use "one" instead of "you"

13 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

They also specifically said yes to they can accept donations. 

also postage which pre email was a bigger perk 

If you care about the future of The Cadets, support them now.
Deduction or not.

If you contribute philanthropically merely for the deduction, perhaps you should mindfully reconsider your giving.

The 501c3 filing will come through.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, garfield said:

OK, so write a check to YEA! and direct the donation be only used for Cadets.

As we stand here today, one can make a charitable donation to benefit the corps.  After they become a spun-off, stand along org, one can make a charitable donation to benefit the corps.

I presume the "divorce" between YEA and the Cadets is amicable.

That's important, when it comes to donations.

If ,as people have posted,the Cadets are a component of YEA,without a separate Tax I.D. 

number,I believe, even if a donation is  directed to the Cadets,YEA could  still use it else where.

Maybe one of the lawyers who posts here could say if that's the case.

All this endless back and forth is like a Monty Python skit.
Michael Palin - “This isn’t an argument. It’s merely a contradiction!”  

John Cleese - “No it isn’t.”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rpbobcat said:

I presume the "divorce" between YEA and the Cadets is amicable

I was in the other room but I heard one of the say “It’s not you. It’s me.”