Cadets and YEA new path forward

2 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

I believe, even if a donation is  directed to the Cadets,YEA could  still use it else where.

A donation can be made a restricted gift, but the reality is that non-profits shuffle money to fit needs all the time, so if someone wants to specifically target their drum corps for the donation, waiting until they have a formal non-profit corporation set up that ONLY does Cadets would be safer than throwing anything into the YEA coffers right now.

Probably not what they want to hear, but the reality is that YEA will soon be essentially a marching band contest circuit with a mountain of debt that far outweighs their annual net revenues from USB/.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, garfield said:

OK, so write a check to YEA! and direct the donation be only used for Cadets

Would YEA be legally forced to follow the donors direction? Years back there was a combined fund raising effort where I work. Then word got out (not sure if true or not) that if a group had donations over a set amount any further $$$ would go somewhere else. 
So much for the combined bit as people started giving directly to make sure 

55 minutes ago, BranchHill said:

If you contribute philanthropically merely for the deduction, perhaps you should mindfully reconsider your giving.

Who gives money away solely for a tax deduction?  Seriously, is that a thing?  Taking a pay cut would be a better tax strategy.

People donate because they care about the cause.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Who gives money away solely for a tax deduction?  Seriously, is that a thing?  Taking a pay cut would be a better tax strategy.

People donate because they care about the cause.

Don’t think the receiving group would give a crap one way or the other. But how many ham and eggers (thank you Freddie Blasi) could give enough to a corps that makes a difference in taxes?

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

All this endless back and forth is like a Monty Python skit.
Michael Palin - “This isn’t an argument. It’s merely a contradiction!”  

John Cleese - “No it isn’t.”

On the other hand, reading some of the comments here makes me think of Monty Python's "Is your wife a goer?  Nudge Nudge know what I mean?"

On 2/19/2020 at 8:48 PM, exitmusic said:

He is the "Chairman" of the new board of The Cadets.

In my opinion, I think that the brand new BOD for the Cadets should have absolutely no ties to the old BOD at YEA or anyone who had prior administrative duties under GH. I truly believe that these matters of optics and public perception are important. Especially after so much public hand-wringing over their zeal to rid themselves of any and all ties to GH and the old "rubber stamp" BOD methods of operation (among other things). To be clear, I don't believe that everyone involved back then is automatically guilty by association, I just think that what's best for the Cadets at this crucial point in time is a clean break from that era when it comes to corps' management and operations. Fresh new faces, ideas, and vision for the future.

• Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

In my opinion, I think that the brand new BOD for the Cadets should have absolutely no ties to the old BOD at YEA or anyone who had prior administrative duties under GH. I truly believe that these matters of optics and public perception are important. Especially after so much public hand-wringing over their zeal to rid themselves of any and all ties to GH and the old "rubber stamp" BOD methods of operation (among other things). To be clear, I don't believe that everyone involved back then is automatically guilty by association, I just think that what's best for the Cadets at this crucial point in time is a clean break from that era when it comes to corps' management and operations. Fresh new faces, ideas, and vision for the future.

Pretty sure people would still hyperbolically complain in an exaggerated fashion if they did.  No continuity is irresponsible blah blah blah ... shirking their identity will lose critical donors blah blah blah...

Also, blah blah blah.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, exitmusic said:

They decidedly did not raise a ton of money last year. They didn't even have the money to buy horns this year. A generous person bought the horns from Yamaha and is lending them to the corps for the summer.

They were referring to the Wine and Food event that did well last year 

5 hours ago, garfield said:

There is a staff member who provides finance operations -- it's not like he needs to know how to complete the 990 or balance the checkbook.  It does mean he knows the financial requirements of running a drum corps - because he's been there -- and learned first-hand how to get them down the road.  What more does the head Opps and money-guy need to run a $1mm non-profit?  This is not Google or Uber.

Yes indeed.