Cadets and YEA new path forward

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

For long term success you’re correct G, but for us fans, will they have the talent to perform “the rock star staff and design teams “ production?  At least the talent to stay top 8-10.

Yes. 

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Good question. And of course we still have the "what's good enough?" factor to look at at. Some people will break out in hives if Cadets don't finish above their 9th place from last year. 

My point was actually that while I would expect much better design and instruction the long term success will depend more on the organizational strength of their BOD and financial structure

as far as talent or experience level of the membership I feel strongly it will be maximized by good design and instruction this summer - Cadets have never had the “most talent” 

Edited by George Dixon

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

My pint was actually that while I would expect much better design and instruction the long term success will depend more on the organizational strength of their BOD and financial structure

as far as talent or experience level of the membership I feel strongly it will be maximized by good design and instruction this summer - Cadets have never had the “most talent” 

Excellent point George. I just want a solid corps and a great learning opportunity for the MM's and staff. I think that long term success is FAR more important than a flash in the pan high finish. When it comes to greatness, Drum Corps is very much like any "sport" in that talent will only take you so far. Poor management has been the demise of many organizations with amazingly talented individuals. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Cadets have never had the “most talent” 

33 minutes ago, Ghost said:

And what say you Jeff?

Come on G.  You've never read Jeff's replies to similar posts about not having the best talent with "they just work harder than other corps."

3 minutes ago, FTNK said:

and to be honest, I think that history/attitude has, in the past, meant the corps didn’t even try in terms of recruitment.

Though that may not be a popular sentiment, I think it's completely valid and not just of Cadets. The tendency of any great organization can sometimes be to take a "If you build it, they will come" type of attitude. And I think an ego like that of GH could have certainly contributed to something along those lines happening. It might have ever been that way, but it certainly could easily have happened. I think Cadets are now on a much better track and wish them all the success in the world. We need more parity in the activity. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

Come on G.  You've never read Jeff's replies to similar posts about not having the best talent with "they just work harder than other corps."

sorry not really -  but anyone living around the mid-Atlantic considers that common knowledge

go to an early season rehearsal and then a late season - the work they've put in many years is just stellar

unfortunately that model fell apart - and they need to put this back together

assuming the business side of things works ok this year I really believe the 2020 Cadets will surprise some - and it will probably become apparent in late July -- that group of instructors really gets the "Cadets model" 

6 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

assuming the business side of things works ok this year I really believe the 2020 Cadets will surprise some - and it will probably become apparent in late July -- that group of instructors really gets the "Cadets model" 

There's a lot to be said for hard work and believing in the product you're selling for certain.