Cadets and YEA new path forward

Just now, Ghost said:

Not that easy to do.

Very true. Though I truly believe that more parity would certainly bring the activity more eyes and a longer lasting fan base. 

8 hours ago, George Dixon said:

it's a similar situation - but DCI and their rules have changed drastically & no DCI East exists (sadly)

I remember wondering WHY Boston went through what they were going through - it seemed extremely punitive IMO - even at the time

Garfield became "Cadets of Bergen County" and then the "Cadets" as they ran from NJ to escape similar pain

I'm hoping THIS time will be a fresh start for them - verses just another reboot. We've been down that path a couple times and now know where it ends...

Cadets need to utilize the INSPIRE model for their BOD - and others here have expressed the same

It's vital they have a strong, dynamic board with the simple ability to say "no" when necessary

With the "core" group of folks working on this project of "The Cadets Organization" I have some hope and faith - but SEEING IT will be critical

They have a background including roles with Boston, Crown, Bluecoats etc - let's not reinvent the wheel, let's use the successful model

Myself and several other posters here (exitmusic for example) are anxiously awaiting the BOD announcement as well as other organizational details...

I trust the show will be effectively designed and well taught (given the rock star staff and design team) - but the REAL NEWS (while less sexy) will be the organizational announcements re: a BOD, fiscal development plan, etc.

Well the reboots led to no change at the top

7 hours ago, Ghost said:

For long term success you’re correct G, but for us fans, will they have the talent to perform “the rock star staff and design teams “ production?  At least the talent to stay top 8-10.

Cadets were never the most talented corps. Many people have rings with a maroon stone that would have been cut elsewhere 

• Like 3

On 2/22/2020 at 1:44 PM, FTNK said:

and to be honest, I think that history/attitude has, in the past, meant the corps didn’t even try in terms of recruitment.

Wrong. They were just willing to give chances. I remember 30 years ago hearing about a percussion section stacked with individual talent but they couldn’t play together to save their lives. Too many prima donnas.

Cadets brought kids in and looked at work ethic. They looked at desire. It may not have paid off year one, but a lot of kids in the 89 brass section, panned by many in here, stuck around for 90. How’d that turn out? Even in 11, I know kids cut elsewhere got a ring, beating the corps that first cut them 

Edited by Jeff Ream

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Wrong. They were just willing to give chances. I remember 30 years ago hearing about a percussion section stacked with individual talent but they couldn’t play together to save their lives. Too many proms donnas

Yup. I can think of at least one corps that has fit that mold the past couple seasons... particularly drums

April was famous for picking folks for Cadets guard that just worked hard and showed promise - like the one who kept trying, practiced during breaks and then stayed after camp to help put all the equipment away. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Cadets were never the most talented corps. Many people have rings with a maroon stone that would have been cut elsewhere 

That certainly is the mantra. Of course we all know talent has probably never determined the champion. Staff and design matter most. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

That certainly is the mantra. Of course we all know talent has probably never determined the champion. Staff and design matter most. 

Once upon a time, MM’s performance at a specific show could make a huge difference in outcomes, even surpassing the design’s impact. For example, 1979 Troopers at DCI Prelims.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

Donations are down across charities due to the increased standard deduction.  Average America can’t deduct most things unless you have a large mortgage or something that will allow you to itemize. I believe the number I saw was that donations are down 30% on average. 

The individual donations dropped 1.1% in 2018, the year after the new tax laws went into effect. The total amount increased 0.7% (factoring in all types of giving...corporations, trusts, etc), according to this article in Forbes.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

You need all of the three legs of the tripod, members, staff and design. 

• Like 1