Cadets and YEA new path forward

On 2/22/2020 at 11:14 AM, George Dixon said:

My point was actually that while I would expect much better design and instruction the long term success will depend more on the organizational strength of their BOD and financial structure

as far as talent or experience level of the membership I feel strongly it will be maximized by good design and instruction this summer - Cadets have never had the “most talent” 

Hi George. We are extremely confident in our financial structure and our board. As long as great people like you and everyone who has supported The Cadets continue to do so then we will continue to be fine. I have been around drum corps and fundraising since 2011 and see no reason that fundraising will be anything but successful as it has always been. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Brad Martin said:

Just to clarify...The Cadets at present still operate under the YEA! umbrella. We will be an independent non profit organization beginning on March 31, with a full board of directors as required by the government. Please please rest assured that we know what we are doing. If you have serious questions or concerns about this then please email me at bmartin@cadets.org. As the Development Director i can assure you that you can make a donation to The Cadets today or after March 31 and everything will be fine. 

Brad Martin

Development and Marketing Manager

The Cadets 

thanks Brad great to hear! 

30 minutes ago, Brad Martin said:

Hi George. We are extremely confident in our financial structure and our board. As long as great people like you and everyone who has supported The Cadets continue to do so then we will continue to be fine. I have been around drum corps and fundraising since 2011 and see no reason that fundraising will be anything but successful as it has always been. 

Thanks Brad - love the confidence. Keep rolling and many of us will UP our donations - I plan to.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Brad Martin said:

Just to clarify...The Cadets at present still operate under the YEA! umbrella. We will be an independent non profit organization beginning on March 31, with a full board of directors as required by the government. Please please rest assured that we know what we are doing. If you have serious questions or concerns about this then please email me at bmartin@cadets.org. As the Development Director i can assure you that you can make a donation to The Cadets today or after March 31 and everything will be fine. 

Brad Martin

Development and Marketing Manager

The Cadets 

Long as your group knows what the plans and dates are then so far so good.... 👍

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 7:50 PM, HockeyDad said:

That certainly is the mantra. Of course we all know talent has probably never determined the champion. Staff and design matter most. 

gotta have kids that can do it. Plus, especially BITD, Cadets played the long game. a loss in July mean nothing. finals night was the goal. examples: 85, 87, 90, 93 and 11

• Like 1

7 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Hey we all get to decide who we prefer. I thought Coats should have won last year and Crown should have been second or third. So I'm clearly "not-enlightened" as well. 91 - I thought no one was close to Star - JMO

yeah Star dirty was still better than everyone else. 

• Like 3

On 2/23/2020 at 2:23 AM, Jeff Ream said:

Wrong. They were just willing to give chances. I remember 30 years ago hearing about a percussion section stacked with individual talent but they couldn’t play together to save their lives. Too many prima donnas.

Cadets brought kids in and looked at work ethic. They looked at desire. It may not have paid off year one, but a lot of kids in the 89 brass section, panned by many in here, stuck around for 90. How’d that turn out? Even in 11, I know kids cut elsewhere got a ring, beating the corps that first cut them 

I certainly don't need to be lectured about it. I was a bassoonist. I never played a tuba or any brass in an ensemble outside of drum corps, a year of college marching band, and two semesters of bball/hockey pep band. 

My first corps, I got the contract mainly because I drove 4 hours to camps, and the brass caption head could see that I wanted it. Mostly Cadets staff. Got most improved brass member that year. 

When I auditioned for Cadets, I got a 3 in playing, but got the contract the first camp because my tech was the caption head from the first corps and knew I was committed and would work (and because I could march like ####### beast). 

That year (2006) Cadets had 70ish rookies in the hornline. The 2007 corps is evidence that The Process worked. (And the argument that I don't know anything because I marched in an "off" year - Don't give me that jazz! "You learn more from a bad year than a good one" -George Hopkins)

HOWEVER: This is my point. Overconfidence in the ability to spin straw into gold. Especially in the modern era, where people can't afford to march more than a year or two (2005 Kdets was so good because it was maybe the most stacked corps ever, with many multiple-year vets). Also, now, the "talent" (I prefer to say skill and experience) level out there is so, so high. Combine that with the fact that design is SO important for competitive success now, and The Cadets have had a roughly 40/50% chance of a good show design in any given year in the last 20 years...

Edited by FTNK
I can't believe I spelled "knew" wrong

... Also, it's not like the 80s/90s anymore. A lot of corps know how to find and maximize talent year after year, partially because of staff from Cadets. It's not just BD and Cadets and Cavaliers... it's BD and Cavaliers plus SCV and Crown and Bluecoats and Boston and Cavaliers and Blue Knights... 

Some of those old Cadets shows - most of them - you had to be real fanatics to work that hard and endure that much pain. The Hop cult helped that, but as he became increasingly unmoored from reality and senile.... Meanwhile, the response was to double down: Work harder, march faster. One hour of floor time. 7:30am wake-up. Not executing? Circle drill at 192 bpm. Rehearse in the rain until 11pm on the night before prelims. And who wants to endure that for Jethro Tull and Cancer and Stoned and Little Geoffrey and whatever 2017 was (one of the weirdest shows ever)?

More to my original point, lots of corps have had satellite camps in Florida and Texas and Indiana etc. for years and years; Cadets efforts in this area were inconsistent at best. The year I marched there was a talk of an Atlanta camp that coming fall and they acted like it was an amazing new idea. 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 1:54 PM, George Dixon said:

not sure we need another thread - this is 2020 Cadets news

JMO

>40 pages of comments from people that didn't want to read >200 pages of comments is the reason for this separate thread.

:whistle:

• Haha 1