Cadets and YEA new path forward

42 minutes ago, FTNK said:

My apologies, it was 70 rookies in the corps (out of 135). Hornline was the standard (of the time) 64, I think 20 trumpets, 12 mellos, 22 baritones (no euphs) and 10 tubas. Within a few of that, for sure. 

To illustrate my point about the inexperience of the corps (and stackedness of 2005); there were 7/10 tuba vets in 2005, 2/10 in 2006.

Thanks, I also thought maybe you meant 70% horn line rookies but had a typo or spellcheck nailed you. 
I’ve worked with computers too long. If I see something that looks off I ask instead of assuming.

18 hours ago, FTNK said:

... Also, it's not like the 80s/90s anymore. A lot of corps know how to find and maximize talent year after year, partially because of staff from Cadets. It's not just BD and Cadets and Cavaliers... it's BD and Cavaliers plus SCV and Crown and Bluecoats and Boston and Cavaliers and Blue Knights... 

Some of those old Cadets shows - most of them - you had to be real fanatics to work that hard and endure that much pain. The Hop cult helped that, but as he became increasingly unmoored from reality and senile.... Meanwhile, the response was to double down: Work harder, march faster. One hour of floor time. 7:30am wake-up. Not executing? Circle drill at 192 bpm. Rehearse in the rain until 11pm on the night before prelims. And who wants to endure that for Jethro Tull and Cancer and Stoned and Little Geoffrey and whatever 2017 was (one of the weirdest shows ever)?

More to my original point, lots of corps have had satellite camps in Florida and Texas and Indiana etc. for years and years; Cadets efforts in this area were inconsistent at best. The year I marched there was a talk of an Atlanta camp that coming fall and they acted like it was an amazing new idea. 

Saturday I came across a post from Hopkins on Facebook. His train is off the track lol. Sounds like one of the sunday morning pastors begging for forgiveness from someone who is not listening. Sad in a way.

1 hour ago, jonwoody said:

Saturday I came across a post from Hopkins on Facebook. His train is off the track lol. Sounds like one of the sunday morning pastors begging for forgiveness from someone who is not listening. Sad in a way.

I saw the same post you did.  The most concerning thing to me is the attitude of some of his followers, as if HE is the most important person, and not the corps.  It actually IS sad in a way, you’re totally right.

3 hours ago, jonwoody said:

i have heard many people say its like that. i don't look. its why i don't watch Nascar crashes

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, dbc03 said:

Out of curiosity, do you have something specific in mind here?

The person I was responding to mentioned rehearsals of the 80’s/90’s, but since that time DCI implemented new policies regarding rehearsal time, sleep time, travel time, health and wellness, etc. Cadets, along with everyone else, has to determine the best use of rehearsal time within these guidelines. To be fair too, what corps did overall in the 80’s/90’s was different from what we would saw ten years ago and different from today.

On 2/22/2020 at 8:50 PM, MikeD said:

You need all of the three legs of the tripod, members, staff and design. 

think about the oakland A's and Moneyball... the statistical analysis of world class drum corps competitive placement over the past decade show that corps with most mature and experienced memberships out place those with younder, less experience members. If you knew the age an experience levels of a corps' membership before the season begins, you could predict their placement without ever seeing the program or design. 

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

The person I was responding to mentioned rehearsals of the 80’s/90’s, but since that time DCI implemented new policies regarding rehearsal time, sleep time, travel time, health and wellness, etc. Cadets, along with everyone else, has to determine the best use of rehearsal time within these guidelines. To be fair too, what corps did overall in the 80’s/90’s was different from what we would saw ten years ago and different from today.

This explains a lot. Thank you for the information. Back in the day, we knew we would be able to sleep in September, so it was all good, especially if sleeping on a bus floor worked for you.

Edited by rysa4

On 2/24/2020 at 7:09 AM, George Dixon said:

Yes - we need to make the cadets negativity dual pronged. All it achieved is people discussing it here vs there. But well done! 

I didn't state a single word of any negativity toward The Cadets.  In fact, several of my former students marched with the corps as recently as this past year and plan to march again this coming year.  The path forward was my original discussion. The fact that there is a "Path Forward" is a positive. 

Let's try to keep that in mind.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jonwoody said:

It’s actually more pathetic than sad. 

• Like 2