Cadets and YEA new path forward

14 hours ago, lifeisaround said:

I love how someone replied to the chat saying they don't need to be a 501c3 to fundraise... but.... Fundraising requires fulfilling several legal requirements. The first requirement has to do with becoming a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt charity. This designation allows a charity to tell its donors that their contributions may be tax-deductible.

Cadets are a 501c3.  Don't worry, you can give plenty and write it ALL off as a charitable contribution.

Just put payable to YEA! until April when you'll be able to make payable to Cadets.

Edited by garfield

10 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Shockingly predictable! A monumental failure. 

Not at all.  You're over-exaggerating even your normal hyperbole.

A post here showed "Questions not answered..."; ridiculous questions completely out of place for this forum and mostly designed to require predicting the future or living up to pipe-dreams.

I think their ignoring the ignorant was a sign of clarity and level-headedness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, lifeisaround said:

100% they have no NEW fundraisers or streamline of money coming in for 2020

Do they need NEW fundraising when they need only the existing fundraisers?   Please clarify what you'd like them to do re: fundraisers.

It appears by most of your comments here that they can use all the qualified help they can get.  You seem to present qualifications to criticize; I wonder if you'd consider volunteering on their still-forming BoD?

Very serious.

Presuming this recap is somewhat accurate, I'm failing to see what's bad here:

Recap:

• Introduce the leadership team - Denise, Justin, Brad, Ron
  • March 31 transition to a new organization
  • 501 c 3 not yet handled but definitely will by March 31
  • "Most" copyrights to show music have been obtained
  • Guard is 50% contracted
  • Percussion full
  • Brass "down to single-digit holes"
  • Brass knows 33% of the show
  • Things are "going great" WRT the corps and the show
  • Spring training site TBD
  • "95%" of sponsors are "the same;" Denise "can't disclose" the few changes
  • New board TBA March 31
  • No new fundraising initiatives; same stuff: M&G, Power the Cadets; March-a-thon forms
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, exitmusic said:

dodge

bob

weave

dodge

dodge

bob

What are: 1,4,5) The name of a vehicle... 2,6) A shortened version of "Robert"... and 3) What a craftsman does with a loom. 

Next, I'll take "Cadets' Future" for $600, Alex...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lifeisaround said:

This is literally perfect and lets not forget the COO/CFO has no, nada, nothing on business/finance or honestly running a drum corps. He joined YEA! in 2016 as the IT guy when George Hired him... Took over director of ops after sean king was in and out.... and now landed this gig... 

When you promote within and hire the board to do what you say and not to help you run an organization... BIG YIKES! 

This kind of hyperbole is simply not helpful.  You present a presumed factual history of one person and conflate that into an overbearing executive team searching for BoD members to be "Yes"-people.  If you are suggesting this, then I'll ask for corroboration or, if you can't corroborate it, a clarification that, while your statement may be true, you're NOT suggesting that Cadets are an example of that decision-making.

I get it - you don't trust these people.  OK.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, exitmusic said:

but why wasn't the board already in place?! that alone makes me think this is a bit of a banana republic. one of the main criticisms that haunted GH was that the board worked for him (and enabled him), rather than the correct way around. if you're gonna start fresh, DO IT RIGHT, and we have not done that.

Wait, what?  "...in place..." before what, this webinar?  Seriously?

These are STAFF people.  You're talking about BOARD people.  The staff is in place, why get rid of them to "start fresh"?  Were they not competent?  Don't you think the current leadership has enough going on that trying to hire staff is a not-justifiable waste of energy?

They've given a date by which they say they'll have a BoD in place.

Through all of your criticisms here, I'm having a really hard time following any sort of common theme or logic besides you're just not happy.  If your theme is to just "Throw them all out and start again, fresh" (as you've hinted) just say so. 

10 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Agree! Trying to mimic the success that GH had is clearly a we only know what we know type of management. 

I'm not sure what this sentence means, but what makes you think this leadership is trying to mimic ANYTHING that GH did?

Isn't it more rational that, to provide an experience and win medals, the design, staff, volunteers, and membership are more important?  I just can't find much "legacy" that needs to be preserved besides that, least of all the leadership structure of the past. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BeachBum said:

<snip> They really should be looking at new ways of raising money in addition to what they're already doing. 

This statement can be made about every drum corps in the activity. In fact, it's true of every, single NP in the country.  

This is hardly "Cadets" news.

• Like 1