Now that Breakdancing is an Olympic Sport

why isn't indoor Winter Guard?  It could be done as a winter or summer event.  Ron Nankervis needs to get on that and make it happen.  Pronto.  

And after that, Drum Corps. Start it off as an exhibition and by 2028 in Los Angeles a full-blown event.

Who knew Breakdancing was still a thing?

• Haha 1

It's interesting to read the list of discontinued Olympic sports on this page:

• Basque Pelota
  • Court Tennis
  • Cricket
  • Croquet
  • Equestrian Vaulting
  • Handball
  • Lacrosse
  • Military Patrol
  • Motorboat Racing
  • Pelota
  • Polo
  • Rackets
  • Roque
  • Tug-of-War

As well as sports that were conducted as Olympic demonsration events but never added to the competition:

• American Football
  • Australian Football
  • Auto Racing
  • Ballooning
  • Bandy
  • Boules
  • Bowling
  • Canne de combat
  • Gaelic Football
  • Gliding
  • Glima
  • Hurling
  • Ice Stock
  • Kaatsen
  • Kendo
  • Korfball
  • Kyudo
  • Lifesaving
  • Ling Gymnastics
  • Longue paume
  • Pesapallo
  • Roller Hocket
  • Savate
  • Ski Ballet
  • Skijoring
  • Sled Dog Racing
  • Speed Skiing*
  • Sumo
  • Water Skiing
  • Winter Pentathlon

*I remember the speed skiing demonstration in 1992. One of the competitors was killed during practice when he struck a snow grooming vehicle at 100 mph.

• Thanks 2

Thought of the tennis and tug of war when I read the original post. But have to google military patrol.... edit MP looks like a team biathlon (ski/shoot). 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I think it should be of note that nothing I would have ever thought of as a "pub sport" has ever made it past the IOC and into the Olympics. I have been following pocket billiards vie to get in for 2024 and I still can't see it getting there. Granted I know, and agree, that pocket billiards is not a sport. I've played at both the amateur and professional levels and walking around a pool table really involves no physical strain which at least is how I define a sport. 

That all being said....

Break dancing?!?!?! REALLY?!?!?! 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever

25 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

Indoor color guard, YES

Drum corps/indoor drumline, NO

(I don't think any Of them will ever make it in, tbh)

You're probably right.  Drum Corps as it exists today would be a bit of a stretch, but Winter Guard is definitely in the realm.  

The Summer Olympics do have a small bit of Drum Corps connection as several alumni participated in the 1984 Summer Olympic band in L.A.

• Like 1

Has anyone ever put Indoor Guard through the process to be evaluated and added? 

I tell you what, there's a whole international cultural apparatus behind gymnastics, skiing, and the rest of the olympic sports... could you imagine what it would do for WGI if it were ever approved?

It would surely become Winter Guard International.   "World" class would eventually be flooded by state-sponsored ensembles.  Could you imagine somewhere like South Africa's or Indonesia's WGI World Class Guard competing against the US National Team? Duuuuuddddee....... 

1 hour ago, ranintothedoor said:

Has anyone ever put Indoor Guard through the process to be evaluated and added? 

I tell you what, there's a whole international cultural apparatus behind gymnastics, skiing, and the rest of the olympic sports... could you imagine what it would do for WGI if it were ever approved?

It would surely become Winter Guard International.   "World" class would eventually be flooded by state-sponsored ensembles.  Could you imagine somewhere like South Africa's or Indonesia's WGI World Class Guard competing against the US National Team? Duuuuuddddee....... 

NM

Edited by GUARDLING

8 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

why isn't indoor Winter Guard?  It could be done as a winter or summer event.  Ron Nankervis needs to get on that and make it happen.  Pronto.  

And after that, Drum Corps. Start it off as an exhibition and by 2028 in Los Angeles a full-blown event.

Who knew Breakdancing was still a thing?

Have you visited New York or Cali lately?