Now that Breakdancing is an Olympic Sport

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

You want Olympic judging? Aren’t there enough complaints about judging now?

Since there’s no more East Germany judges, Olympic judging might be improving.  But, then again the Russians and Chinese could be a problem.

Edited by Ghost

I heard there's a great break dance crew in Jacksonville, FL led by a pre-successful DJ.

21 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Exactly. Not many people know about drum corps, but it still thrives. Not many people think break dancing still goes on, but it thrives. 

hmmmmm.  Ok, so it IS still a thing!  .......In Croatia and Jacksonville.

Winter Guard should be an Olympic sport and I'll start the movement.

After I retire.

38 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

hmmmmm.  Ok, so it IS still a thing!  .......In Croatia and Jacksonville.

Winter Guard should be an Olympic sport and I'll start the movement.

After I retire.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

On 2/17/2020 at 11:39 AM, Jeff Ream said:

You want Olympic judging? Aren’t there enough complaints about judging now?

I can just see BD's visual scores....19.8, 19.7....and a THREE from the Russian judge! (remember those days in the 70s?)

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2020 at 6:43 PM, traverbanking said:

The IOC is always concerned about the total number of athletes participating in a particular Olympic Games. All athletes have to be taken care in the Olympic village with dorm rooms and meals for the two-week duration of the Games. Currently, the team sport with the largest number of athletes per team allowed is ice hockey (20 members). Drum corps upper limit is 150 x the number of countries. Ain't gonna happen.

That affects the medals as well.  For the 2004, 2008, and 2012 Summer Games, fencing did not get medals for all the events.  The six individuals did (foil, epee, and sabre...both genders), but they dropped 2 team events (one per gender) each cycle.  It wasn't until 2016 that ALL the medals got awarded and ALL the teams competed.

Sucked for the head coach at my club during the runup to Beijing in 2008.  He was ranking high enough to take the alternate slot for men's team foil (although he would not officially be an olympian unless he actually competed....nor would he have gotten a medal if the team did, but he did not actually hit the strip), but when the IOC dropped mens team foil from the event list, he just stopped, because he was not going to make the individuals.