Why I joined the Cavaliers in the 1990s

On 2/20/2020 at 8:01 AM, Skeletor '96 said:

1990 – Anthems – I believe this is supposed to be choral church music, but those first two pieces sound like no church I’ve ever been to.  That Gloria percussion feature is bone crushing – which is very good!

John Rutter is one of the most prolific and talented choral composers of the 21st century. I was lucky in my choral years to sing with a choir he conducted over a summer music program. Super nice man with a sort of genius for choral works that's very rare IMHO. I've said for a long time that choral music can translate very well to drum and bugle corps and 1990 is a good example of that. There are plenty of others as well. 

Just as an aside, I don't know that I would classify it as "church music" necessarily, though I do get your point. We generally classify choral into either sacred or secular and understandably enough, sacred music is only called that in terms of subject matter. The structure of the music itself doesn't really change. You can have some pieces that are very dark and heavy or bright and airy in both styles. 

If you want to hear a mix of style changes in the sacred range from Rutter, I would suggest listening to Rutters Requiem. Though the latin context is clearly sacred, the music itself moves through varying styles. I performed it in college...twice. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever

16 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

John Rutter is one of the most prolific and talented choral composers of the 21st century. I was lucky in my choral years to sing with a choir he conducted over a summer music program. Super nice man with a sort of genius for choral works that's very rare IMHO. I've said for a long time that choral music can translate very well to drum and bugle corps and 1990 is a good example of that. There are plenty of others as well. 

Just as an aside, I don't know that I would classify it as "church music" necessarily, though I do get your point. We generally classify choral into either sacred or secular and understandably enough, sacred music is only called that in terms of subject matter. The structure of the music itself doesn't change really change. You can have some pieces that are very dark and heavy or bright and airy in both styles. 

If you want to hear a mix of style changes in the sacred range from Rutter, I would suggest listening to Rutters Requiem. Though the latin context is clearly sacred, the music itself moves through varying styles. I performed it in college...twice. 

Very good point.  Thanks for reminding me about secular vs sacred choral music.

3 minutes ago, Skeletor '96 said:

Very good point.  Thanks for reminding me about secular vs sacred choral music.

Not a problem sir. It's a choral thing and mostly minor in the grand scheme of things. I LOVED quite of the bit of the Cavies in the 1990's. It was a great decade for Drum Corps. 

Which six?  I woulda killed to march the six between 1990 and 1995 personally.  (Too bad I had to leave out 1996.  That was a really fun summer, though.)

On 2/24/2020 at 4:08 AM, Skeletor '96 said:

Which six?  I woulda killed to march the six between 1990 and 1995 personally.  (Too bad I had to leave out 1996.  That was a really fun summer, though.)

93-98

• Thanks 1

All the shows from the mid to late 80s were my favs (doesn't it seem that way for every generation, where the shows they watch are their favs?)

I do wish I knew more about drum corps while in high school...or knew how to audition before I did. I do remember watching DCI Finals videos during our band camp and it was amazing to see these awesome corps performing on video. My first actual LIVE performance was '90 Allentown. I was truly blown away at the raw-in-your-face wall of sound.

I had a friend who was in his 2nd year with the Cavaliers, so all of us were on edge waiting for scores from the other Regional shows as they would write the scores on boards down on the field between performances (yes, this was way before today's instant technology...wait, is 800-DCI-SCORE still active? LOL). However, I'm glad I was able to march two years ('91-'92) and they are still the best two years of my life thus far! 1993 would have been my age-out year, but I joined the Air Force. I did see the guys in Dekalb at DCM, so was able to see all my buds before heading up to North Dakota for my duty station.

Isn't 1990 Allentown where we shocked the DCI world by beating the Blue Devils and Phantom Regiment who were both undefeated at the point?  I heard everyone was so excited at seeing if BD or Phantom would come out undefeated still!

I remember 1-900-CAN-DRUM to get scores from the previous day.  900 numbers!

I regret that I chose saxophone in the sixth grade.  It wasn't till I was 19 that I decided to pick up a brass instrument and fulfill my life's dream.  I shoulda marched 92-96.  Boy did I miss out.

Edited by Skeletor '96
correction
  • Haha 1

No, wasn’t ‘90 Allentown.

• 3 weeks later...

Rehearsal vid from '97 - Cavies , BD, and Scouts compiled by a Japanese fan (not my vid, just found it today)

1997 DCI リハーサルいろいろ

Translated: 1997 DCI Various rehearsal (46:45)
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO2LNt-FXi4