MADISON SCOUTS City of Angels: 1991 vs 1992

12 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Possibly the same for 65 Royal Airs, 08 Phantom, 14 Blue Devils, and 16 Bluecoats.

I have to look at home and see if I have the CD for 65' Royal Airs. I KNOW I've heard that show and I have a ton of stuff on vinyl that was converted over to CD. I would definitely have to agree with the other 3. Downside -Up is still my go to when marching band people say that their kids high school band is better than any DCI corps. 

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I have to look at home and see if I have the CD for 65' Royal Airs.  

The 65 VFW recording, even though held inside, sounds pretty good for that era.

Edited by Ghost

I always hear about the 1965 Royal Airs as being the best of the VFW era.  As someone who's heard only Cavaliers recordings from that era, I'm curious what makes the 1965 Royal Airs everybody's favorite.

92 by far is my favorite of the two. More than that, 92 Madison is one of my all time favorite drum corps shows. The entire thing is just so good, but the drum break, horn reentry, and tempo pick up to the end gets my heart racing every time! 

15 hours ago, mbviking said:

Gotta go with 92.  Moving Funny to the closer, along with the drum break, were really what moved it past 91.  Both years were tremendous, though.

agreed.

Madison was almost always an awesome corps in the 80s and 90s, but definitely not for their performance level!  It's interesting that they called 1995 and 1996 "A Drum Corps Fan's Dream".  Those shows were the heavy metal of drum corps - headbangin'! 1993 Star of Indiana or any 90s Cavalier shows are the stuff of my dreams.

Oh hell yeah - let's talk 90's drum corps!

'91 was a good show, but '92 was a *great* one.  Tempos were a little higher, charts were tighter and that brass line sounded like lasers out there.  Their finals performance was absolutely on fire!  

'91, however, was much more faithful to the original, and had that really cool split tenor feature in the pit (on the broadcast sadly, all you see is the tenors on stands almost taking a tumble...). 

Mike

• Like 1

92 without a doubt for me.

That was the year I really learned about drum and bugle corps. PBS was showing the top 6 live and I recorded it and watched live. Little did I know how many times I would be watching that tape and geeking out over every single corps. I was officially a DCI fan for life after that season. 

So perhaps I'm a bit biased on the '92 show since I've seen it so many more times than '91. I liked '91 but really loved the intensity of the '92 show and felt it was a lot more entertaining.  

That closer was absolutely on fire. 

• Like 1