"THEY'RE ALWAYS READY!!!"

On 2/23/2020 at 6:44 PM, drumcorpsfever said:

Better question is why does the announcer have to ask “is your corps ready?”   

Because sometimes they're not.  At 04 DCA prelims, we (SoCal Dream) were having issues with one of the keyboard stands in the pit....so when Fran Haring asked if we were ready, I shook my head "no."  About 30 seconds later I called the corps to attention and saluted that we were ready.

It's not just a formality...it's a legit question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Another thing to get rid of is the announcement of the corps name AFTER the performance begins.  

If the corps name comes in just a second before the opening hit, I actually like it. It's a little over dramatic but it still gets me. 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2020 at 9:29 PM, Jurassic Lancer said:

That was SCV right after Candide in 74. Smh 

In 1976, the Schaumburg Illinois Guardsman did a commercial for Kentucky Fried Chicken, and on the recording right before the opening hit someone in the crowd yells "chicken sucks".

19 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Another thing to get rid of is the announcement of the corps name AFTER the performance begins.  

Also Brandt needs to drop the growl....it’s actually a bit embarrassing 

20 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

Because sometimes they're not.  At 04 DCA prelims, we (SoCal Dream) were having issues with one of the keyboard stands in the pit....so when Fran Haring asked if we were ready, I shook my head "no."  About 30 seconds later I called the corps to attention and saluted that we were ready.

It's not just a formality...it's a legit question.

I remember that well!!!  And you're right, Sam... that wasn't the only time something like that happened, with other corps.

Gotta be honest here... I started attending shows in 1967, and don't remember the "is the corps ready" thing from any announcer, until the DCI era.

You can check out videos of the World Open from 1970-71, and the PA guy (Wes Hobby in those cases) doesn't do that announcement.  Same with the DCA championships, 1960s-early 70s.

Heck... when I started working the DCA title show in 1983, I was hesitant to do the "drum major so-and-so, is your corps ready?" thing, because some of the DMs would just ignore it and start their corps.  :tongue:  It was something they weren't used to yet.

19 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

If the corps name comes in just a second before the opening hit, I actually like it. It's a little over dramatic but it still gets me. 

It is cool when it works.... but it can also lead to its own set of issues, with the timing of the announcement. Trust me.  LOL.

From my radio days, a DJ talking up until the music starts is called "hitting the post."  But hitting the post in a stadium environment, where there can be a delay from when the announcer speaks to when it's actually heard over the PA system....well... the post can be run over.  :laughing:

That happened at least once for me, at a DCI gig I worked. There was a significant PA delay... one to two seconds lag time. A couple of corps had the "announcement timed with the music" thing... but only one of them factored in the delay.

Thus, the announcement stepped on the first  note of music for one corps who hadn't taken a delay into consideration. In that case, I plead not guilty.  LOL. Not my fault. Nor is it Brandt's fault, or any other announcer's fault. Our job is to talk when cued. If a corps wants to get cute with the timing, and a delay (or a tempo problem) messes that up... that's on them.

Honestly, I wish all the announcements were made up front, before a corps starts its show or "pre-judged time" show. Just a better flow, IMO.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

It is cool when it works.... but it can also lead to its own set of issues, with the timing of the announcement. Trust me.  LOL.

From my radio days, a DJ talking up until the music starts is called "hitting the post."  But hitting the post in a stadium environment, where there can be a delay from when the announcer speaks to when it's actually heard over the PA system....well... the post can be run over.  :laughing:

That happened at least once for me, at a DCI gig I worked. There was a significant PA delay... one to two seconds lag time. A couple of corps had the "announcement timed with the music" thing... but only one of them factored in the delay.

Thus, the announcement stepped on the first  note of music for one corps who hadn't taken a delay into consideration. In that case, I plead not guilty.  LOL. Not my fault. Nor is it Brandt's fault, or any other announcer's fault. Our job is to talk when cued. If a corps wants to get cute with the timing, and a delay (or a tempo problem) messes that up... that's on them.

Honestly, I wish all the announcements were made up front, before a corps starts its show or "pre-judged time" show. Just a better flow, IMO.

2014 Bluecoats comes to mind. It came out pretty well at finals.

I also noticed 2019 CV at DCA finals but it sounded pre-recorded. Is that allowed in DCI or am I missing something?