"THEY'RE ALWAYS READY!!!"

17 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I also noticed 2019 CV at DCA finals but it sounded pre-recorded. Is that allowed in DCI or am I missing something?

Good question about DCI.  I know it's allowed in DCA. I've been the voice on some of those pre-recordings.  LOL.

Heck... if pre-recording helps a corps with its timing, or to enhance a particular theme, whatever... I'm fine with it. Not every voice works for every show.  Horses for courses, as the saying goes.

I've listened to some of those DCA recordings with the "studio" announcements up front. The narrator (not Fran Haring) does a good job and has what's known as a well modulated delivery, but he also had an impossible, if not downright absurd, task.

Since there is no stadium ambience these intros come across akin to "Attention Walmart Shoppers: Men's socks are $3 a pair on aisle 6."

The lack of context renders the verbal lead-in more a distraction than anything else.

Fran, on the other hand, is actually part of the action. He draws you in. With his delivery, one can almost envision his funky Hawaiian shirts.

1 hour ago, ironlips said:

I've listened to some of those DCA recordings with the "studio" announcements up front. The narrator (not Fran Haring) does a good job and has what's known as a well modulated delivery, but he also had an impossible, if not downright absurd, task.

Since there is no stadium ambience these intros come across akin to "Attention Walmart Shoppers: Men's socks are $3 a pair on aisle 6."

The lack of context renders the verbal lead-in more a distraction than anything else.

Fran, on the other hand, is actually part of the action. He draws you in. With his delivery, one can almost envision his funky Hawaiian shirts.

So which delivery is better? Socks or shirts? (j/k) 😂

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

It is cool when it works.... but it can also lead to its own set of issues, with the timing of the announcement. Trust me.  LOL.

From my radio days, a DJ talking up until the music starts is called "hitting the post."  But hitting the post in a stadium environment, where there can be a delay from when the announcer speaks to when it's actually heard over the PA system....well... the post can be run over.  :laughing:

That happened at least once for me, at a DCI gig I worked. There was a significant PA delay... one to two seconds lag time. A couple of corps had the "announcement timed with the music" thing... but only one of them factored in the delay.

Thus, the announcement stepped on the first  note of music for one corps who hadn't taken a delay into consideration. In that case, I plead not guilty.  LOL. Not my fault. Nor is it Brandt's fault, or any other announcer's fault. Our job is to talk when cued. If a corps wants to get cute with the timing, and a delay (or a tempo problem) messes that up... that's on them.

Honestly, I wish all the announcements were made up front, before a corps starts its show or "pre-judged time" show. Just a better flow, IMO.

89 Cadets prime example

6 hours ago, ironlips said:

Yeah I don't think a pre-recorded voice will ever beat a live one. As I said, if it works, it's pretty #### cool. If it doesn't then it's exceptionally awkward. I'll also agree that it comes off flat most of the time. 

And we all loved Fran announcing our shows!

23 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I remember that well!!!  And you're right, Sam... that wasn't the only time something like that happened, with other corps.

And, in fact...here it is.  You do the "are you ready: at 0:21.  Around 0:58 when I finally called the corps to attention.

My salute made you chuckle a little!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Every show I've ever been to had someone yelling it.  Heck, after reading some of these posts I may have to make a point of doing it now.

Edited by Mello Dude

Nothing better than hearing Frans voice knowing he's at the show, but not working it

5 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Every show I've ever been to had someone yelling it.  Heck, after reading some of these posts I may have to make a point of doing it now.

2008 Bellflower show...last one for BDB and C.  I warned the folks around me i was gonna do it...and I can put out the sound.

Lady in front of me afterwards..."Well...you DID warn us!"

• Like 1