DCI Ticket prices... how far is up??

4 hours ago, Lead said:

I mean you're getting 12 corps worth of performances @ 17 mins each, that's 204 minutes of shows, plus intermission. A 4-hour show (with intermission) for a max of $65 per ticket is pretty good for entertainment anywhere. OP posted $223 for 3 tickets, but that includes some convenience fees for paying online as well. DCI.org lists this show's max ticket price at $65/ticket.

Your world tour concert wasn't 3 1/2 hours worth of music, and is $10 more expensive to start off with.

Because math.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lead said:

I mean you're getting 12 corps worth of performances @ 17 mins each, that's 204 minutes of shows, plus intermission. A 4-hour show (with intermission) for a max of $65 per ticket is pretty good for entertainment anywhere. OP posted $223 for 3 tickets, but that includes some convenience fees for paying online as well. DCI.org lists this show's max ticket price at $65/ticket.

Your world tour concert wasn't 3 1/2 hours worth of music, and is $10 more expensive to start off with.

True. DCI should offer an insurance policy for shows that get cancelled. Yes, corps need the money from ticket sales but I hate to lose the cost of a ticket when the show is threatened by bad weather. Especially when contemplating a long drive to an out of town show site. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 2:46 PM, Lead said:

ummm shows aren't 17 minutes long....  Prices are out of control.

On 2/24/2020 at 8:23 PM, drumcorpsfever said:

True. DCI should offer an insurance policy for shows that get cancelled. Yes, corps need the money from ticket sales but I hate to lose the cost of a ticket when the show is threatened by bad weather. Especially when contemplating a long drive to an out of town show site. 

I’m going to one outdoor show.  Lisle. The other three locations are indoor. 

10 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think that's the direction I've started leaning towards. Long gone are my days of sweating from places I didn't know I had to either watch or march in a show. Privilege of aging...I get beer, air conditioning and an AARP discount (even though Britt makes fun of me for the last one.)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

When we do our annual tour, we take in about 7-8 shows in 14 days, travelling about 2400 miles.  All shows are outdoors.  We refuse to attend indoor shows. 

The tickets have all been paid for in advance.  In the last 10 years we have been rained out maybe 4 times.  That's about 5% of the shows.  Our tours also include gourmet dining and the other costs of being on the road for 14 days.  I am not going to pay for insurance for a 5% chance of a cancelled show.

One note.  I consider Lisle a gourmet dining destination because Chicago, with its wonderful dining scene, is close enough for us.😉

• Like 1

I strongly believe in Free Market Economics and have been influenced by the teachings of Dr. Milton Friedman. With that, I believe DCI ticket pricing is exactly where it should be.  Consumers establish pricing levels.

Set prices too high (for current conditions) and attendance will decline. The value of the purchase drops and customers find alternatives to what is being offered.  

In America, for now, WE are ‘Free to Choose’ what is reasonable.

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

I strongly believe in Free Market Economics and have been influenced by the teachings of Dr. Milton Friedman. With that, I believe DCI ticket pricing is exactly where it should be.  Consumers establish pricing levels.

Set prices too high (for current conditions) and attendance will decline. The value of the purchase drops and customers find alternatives to what is being offered.  

In America, for now, WE are ‘Free to Choose’ what is reasonable.

And in that line of thinking Fred. At what point do people start thinking watching on line might be an option. On one side cost and hassle of entire trip, etc to be there live and other side not the same as being there live and crossing fingers on quality of broadcast.

Have done both and kind of a balancing act..