DCI Ticket prices... how far is up??

6 hours ago, Bob P. said:

When we do our annual tour, we take in about 7-8 shows in 14 days, travelling about 2400 miles.  All shows are outdoors.  We refuse to attend indoor shows. 

The tickets have all been paid for in advance.  In the last 10 years we have been rained out maybe 4 times.  That's about 5% of the shows.  Our tours also include gourmet dining and the other costs of being on the road for 14 days.  I am not going to pay for insurance for a 5% chance of a cancelled show.

One note.  I consider Lisle a gourmet dining destination because Chicago, with its wonderful dining scene, is close enough for us.😉

I live about 15 minutes from Illinois Benedictine university.  No one runs a drum corps show any better than the Cavaliers organization. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And in that line of thinking Fred. At what point do people start thinking watching on line might be an option. On one side cost and hassle of entire trip, etc to be there live and other side not the same as being there live and crossing fingers on quality of broadcast.

Have done both and kind of a balancing act..

The cost won’t scare me off.  We’ve already been over why I’ll leave and it was voted down.  

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

The cost won’t scare me off.  We’ve already been over why I’ll leave and it was voted down.  

Lol 2020 plans are get back to watching DCI on line to see how much I’m interested. Not sure about DCA live shows as have to get used to my “new normal” (hate that term) as I retired yesterday. My added cost for live shows will be kennel for the wee beastie (16 lb Bichon).

• Like 3

Jim - I pretty much no longer attend drum corps events in person. It has nothing at all to do with the cost, including ticket price, of the experience. For me, it’s all about value. Values not monetary.

My interest in drum corps remains high. I enjoy viewing and listening. Just no longer value the time and effort required to actually be there, at the stadium.  I’m now older, more lazy, and less tolerant of crowds and everything that goes along with that.

My subscription to Flo, my blu-rays and downloads are of greater value now. I’m still very much ‘in the game,’ just play along differently than earlier in life. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Jim - I pretty much no longer attend drum corps events in person. It has nothing at all to do with the cost, including ticket price, of the experience. For me, it’s all about value. Values not monetary.

My interest in drum corps remains high. I enjoy viewing and listening. Just no longer value the time and effort required to actually be there, at the stadium.  I’m now older, more lazy, and less tolerant of crowds and everything that goes along with that.

My subscription to Flo, my blu-rays and downloads are of greater value now. I’m still very much ‘in the game,’ just play along differently than earlier in life. 

And add how much longer it takes to recover from trips and sitting in a stadium. Things I never would have thought of when I started lol

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lol 2020 plans are get back to watching DCI on line to see how much I’m interested. Not sure about DCA live shows as have to get used to my “new normal” (hate that term) as I retired yesterday. My added cost for live shows will be kennel for the wee beastie (16 lb Bichon).

Grats on the retirement Sam. I still prefer live shows, I just hate the typical 8+ hour drive to get to the really good shows. Atlanta is always convenient as it's only 2 hours away (maybe 2:30 to the stadium) and we know where all the best spots to eat are. If any of you plan on going to Atlanta this year for DCI South, you should check out the Marietta Diner for a quick bite. The portions are STUPID for the price and the cakes / pastries are to die for. 

19 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

I still want all you guys to come to ATL this year so we can all go out for a beer and be obnoxious to all of the millennial's....and then maybe more beer... 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And add how much longer it takes to recover from trips and sitting in a stadium. Things I never would have thought of when I started lol

THIS is why I am huge proponent of Flo Marching.  An enormous ‘living room’ audience is out there still to capture. Great value to many!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

THIS is why I am huge proponent of Flo Marching.  An enormous ‘living room’ audience is out there still to capture. Great value to many!

I think the streaming services are great for a lot of folks and I agree that it's getting harder and harder to even do the 5 hours of driving, 6 hours of sitting and fighting through the crowds. I think I've just been a little more rejuvenated by having a millennial with me that enjoys "experience." It's all new to her and she gets excited about the shows. She isn't influenced by old vs. new drum corps...it's all new to her. We do have some better shows this year in the TN, GA, AL region.