2013 Carolina Crown's Unhealthy Relationship

I was just watching 2013 Carolina Crown championship performance.  Does anyone else think John's relationship with his lover isn't healthy, psychologically speaking?  It seems more like "obsession" and "dependency" than "love".

It's purple prose, it's meant to be a bit sappy and over-the-top. Primarily, it's a direct quote from "Einstein on the Beach," so if it seems a bit unhealthy, blame Philip Glass and Robert Wilson.

19 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

It's purple prose, it's meant to be a bit sappy and over-the-top. Primarily, it's a direct quote from "Einstein on the Beach," so if it seems a bit unhealthy, blame Philip Glass and Robert Wilson.

As a big David Bowie fan I really need to get around to listening to Glass's Low Symphony and Heroes Symphony.  Any reviews?

So expressing how you love someone is "unhealthy", "obsessive", and a "dependency". Okay. Someone better wake Shakespear from the grave to tell him the true meaning of love so that he can rewrite his Sonnets. Seems to me someone just wanted an excuse to say they liked Re:Rite of Spring better.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I think Shakespeare is what one would apparently refer to as "purple prose"!

38 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

So expressing how you love someone is "unhealthy", "obsessive", and a "dependency". Okay. Someone better wake Shakespear from the grave to tell him the true meaning of love so that he can rewrite his Sonnets. Seems to me someone just wanted an excuse to say they liked Re:Rite of Spring better.

Maybe, now that I think about it.  Devils are so rarely my favorite I got hyped today when watching 2013.  What Blue Devils' shows are my favorite of their respective years?  1984, 1985, 2007, 2013.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MotoSurfBass said:

Remember “Einstein on the Beach” is an opera. Love is never healthy in opera, or at least is rarely healthy in opera. Opera is filled with jealousy, murder, suicide, twisted love triangles and in one case, you might even be able to say a love hexagon! We cheered Turandot and Calaf finding love ❤️ in Phantom’s great production in 2012 even though it started with the poor Prince of Persia have it his head chopped off and impaled because he could not guess the answer to a riddle. We also can’t forget the father’s servant Liu who was killed because she refused to reveal Calaf’s name. Crown portraying two young lovers on a park bench may have been gooey, but at least everyone was alive at the end, and in the world of opera, that’s healthy.😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Incognito365 said:

I would think we can all agree that there are plenty of examples in the world of unhealthy ways that love has been expressed. The "how" is the important part. I personally didn't find the show to be that far over the top but then I admittedly didn't like the show all that much. Different folks will view it different ways I suppose.

9 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Remember “Einstein on the Beach” is an opera. Love is never healthy in opera, or at least is rarely healthy in opera. Opera is filled with jealousy, murder, suicide, twisted love triangles and in one case, you might even be able to say a love hexagon! We cheered Turandot and Calaf finding love ❤️ in Phantom’s great production in 2012 even though it started with the poor Prince of Persia have it his head chopped off and impaled because he could not guess the answer to a riddle. We also can’t forget the father’s servant Liu who was killed because she refused to reveal Calaf’s name. Crown portraying two young lovers on a park bench may have been gooey, but at least everyone was alive at the end, and in the world of opera, that’s healthy.😎

To Tim K's point....

"Well what did you expect? A happy ending?"

What's_Opera_Doc_Lobby_Card.PNG

• Like 2