Wicked Game and Spin Network

For those that don't know, Tresona runs the Spin Network...on demand video of marching bands, etc.  I am a subscriber, and watched their video of the day today:  2019 USBands Open class performance from Blackstone-Millville (nice show by the way).  However, their opener was an arrangement of Wicked Game, the same tune that Boston Crusader's played in 2017 and was REMOVED from the DCI video's due to licensing.  I was surprised to see that it could be included on a high school marching band performance on the Spin Network, but couldn't be included on a World Class DCI video??  There is probably more to the licensing issue so I'll plead ignorance, but I found it surprising either way.  

Anyone know why it would be ok on the one video but not on the other? Does it cost less if its on-demand video as opposed to blu-ray?  Is it because Boston had a vocalist that used the lyrics and the HS band didn't? 

Not knocking the band, they had a great show, very impressed.  I just don't understand why Tresona would be able to get the licensing for that completed, but DCI could not get it thru Tresona for Boston.

Back to work now...

Perhaps the licensing has changed in the interim?  And/or "we own the licensing sync rights and we're making the income off SPIN" v. "DCI has to buy the rights [at a fee that would triple the cost of the DVDs] to make income from them."

Eastern high school out of Middletown, Ky had Wicked Games as their ballad in 2018, along with a vocalist. They attended USBands Southern States Championships and the ballad is on their finals video as well.

It may have to do with the actual marching band arrangements.  If these schools bought marching band arrangements from music publishers like Columbia, Hal Leonard, etc those would have been already licensed.  Most marching bands probably do use these "stock charts", which usually only cost $100 or so  for the full scores and printed parts.  (These same companies provide arrangements for jazz and concert ensembles as well.)  Drum corps always do their own arranging, as do many hs and college bands. These groups would have to get permssions, either thru DCI, BOA or whatever circuit they are in.  Stock charts, however, are essentially pre-permissioned.

38 minutes ago, craiga said:

It may have to do with the actual marching band arrangements.  If these schools bought marching band arrangements from music publishers like Columbia, Hal Leonard, etc those would have been already licensed.  Most marching bands probably do use these "stock charts", which usually only cost $100 or so  for the full scores and printed parts.  (These same companies provide arrangements for jazz and concert ensembles as well.)  Drum corps always do their own arranging, as do many hs and college bands. These groups would have to get permssions, either thru DCI, BOA or whatever circuit they are in.  Stock charts, however, are essentially pre-permissioned.

I can attest that Eastern has their own arrangements drawn up, as do 90% of the bands in my home state. There was one who played Crazy Train in 2019 that made it to the KMEA SMBC "high quality flash drive" as well. Yes flash drive, but thats a whole different discussion.

Edited by Incognito365

54 minutes ago, craiga said:

I’m a band director too, and I know that most of the bands in my area that are competitive do NOT use stock charts.  Some that don’t compete, yes they may use stock charts, but not the TOB, USBands and Cavalcade bands.  They have their shows arranged, composed, or the band directors arrange themselves and pay the fees.  Most high schools are just like the corps, and some spend as much money for arranging as the corps do, and also have to pay the arranging license fees on top of that.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, leed17 said:

I’m a band director too, and I know that most of the bands in my area that are competitive do NOT use stock charts.  Some that don’t compete, yes they may use stock charts, but not the TOB, USBands and Cavalcade bands.  They have their shows arranged, composed, or the band directors arrange themselves and pay the fees.  Most high schools are just like the corps, and some spend as much money for arranging as the corps do, and also have to pay the arranging license fees on top of that.  

I know here most bands even pay the syncing rights as well.

55 minutes ago, leed17 said:

Sorry...didn't realize you're a band director.  The director of the band I teach here in Maine is also an arranger (Barnhouse....I think), so he writes and arranges our shows.  Many other high schools in New England, however do seem to use stock charts.  Although being somewhat  familiar with Blackstone, I doubt they do.

Edited by craiga

1 hour ago, craiga said:

Sorry...didn't realize you're a band director.  The director of the band I teach here in Maine is also an arranger (Barnhouse....I think), so he writes and arranges our shows.  Many other high schools in New England, however do seem to use stock charts.  Although being somewhat  familiar with Blackstone, I doubt they do.

I think it depends on how competitive the area is as well. Kentucky, Indiana, Ilinois, Tennessee, Oklahoma, and Texas tend to not use stock arrangements. There are some that do, but they tend to be the bands that just perform at halftime and don't compete. These are just the states that I'm familiar with though. 

the problem with Boston was a conflict with an agreement a luxury car manufacturer had to use the song in their ad campaign that included exclusivity, if I recall correctly.