Wicked Game and Spin Network

it can also depend on the company doing the video and the relationship and financial arrangement with the circuit

12 hours ago, wonker said:

the problem with Boston was a conflict with an agreement a luxury car manufacturer had to use the song in their ad campaign that included exclusivity, if I recall correctly.

I seem to recall DCI has been bitten in the past with "timing" issues like this -- a product owns the rights to a tune for the duration of their ad campaign and prevents DCI from using it on its videos.

Wasn't "New York State of Mind" in this category? (I may be totally misremembering -- it's early and pre-coffee.)

I can say that if you requested the rights to "Wicked Game" from Tresona during the time period when Boston used it this was the response you would get from Tresona . . . 

"Wicked Game appears to currently be in transition from one publisher to another and we expect a very long delay with this request."

It's possible that since that time Tresona has acquired the song. 

On 2/26/2020 at 8:28 AM, CrownBariDad said:

I seem to recall DCI has been bitten in the past with "timing" issues like this -- a product owns the rights to a tune for the duration of their ad campaign and prevents DCI from using it on its videos.

Wasn't "New York State of Mind" in this category? (I may be totally misremembering -- it's early and pre-coffee.)

Yes, see this post by Michael Boo.

• Thanks 2

On 2/29/2020 at 10:25 PM, UNCGQ said:

I can say that if you requested the rights to "Wicked Game" from Tresona during the time period when Boston used it this was the response you would get from Tresona . . . 

"Wicked Game appears to currently be in transition from one publisher to another and we expect a very long delay with this request."

It's possible that since that time Tresona has acquired the song. 

It would be really cool if someday DCI was able to get the rights for the various corps that have been chopped up over the years due to sync rights issues and re-release those performances on a digital video download...I doubt a blu-ray release would be financially possible, but that would even be more cool if that happened :)