Coronavirus

Its not an issue now.

Hopefully,it won't be.

But I wonder if DCI is putting any contingency plans in place,should there be 

an outbreak of Coronavirus  in the states.

As has been seen in the past, infections  spread through a corps like wild fire.

Tight quarters,less then optimum "living conditions",including laundry,provide an ideal

breading ground.

I also anticipate,if there is an outbreak,schools not allowing corps to use their facilities if they'd

have to, as a precaution,disinfect  the place after they  leave.

Could also affect people attending shows.

I know from my clients in Asia,its an issue there.

I also wonder if this will affect corps members coming over from Asia ?

Just wonder what other people think ?

Edited by rpbobcat

Don’t forget “sick air syndrome” (air not fresh just recirculated) in buses. Wonder how insurance policies for shows, etc handle these things.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

Its not an issue now.

Hopefully,it won't be.

But I wonder if DCI is putting any contingency plans in place,should there be 

an outbreak of Coronavirus  in the states.

As has been seen in the past, infections  spread through a corps like wild fire.

Tight quarters,less then optimum "living conditions",including laundry,provide an ideal

breading ground.

I also anticipate,if there is an outbreak,schools not allowing corps to use their facilities if they'd

have to, as a precaution,disinfect  the place after they  leave.

Could also affect people attending shows.

I know from my clients in Asia,its an issue there.

I also wonder if this will affect corps members coming over from Asia ?

Just wonder what other people think ?

DCI would not be the only thing affected by this.  I have a friend who's wife was scheduled for a class trip to Italy/Switzerland this week and which was cancelled due to concerns. 

FWIW: Per the Johns Hopkins Website...

COVID-19: Approximately 2,708 deaths reported worldwide; 0 deaths in the U.S., as of Feb. 25, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

5 minutes ago, ibexpercussion said:

COVID-19: Approximately 2,708 deaths reported worldwide; 0 deaths in the U.S., as of Feb. 25, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

You see to have it all figured out.  Good for you. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ibexpercussion said:

Flu deaths are preventable with vaccines. There’s no vaccine against corona virus, and the death count keeps going up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

If it begins to spread in the US, it will likely end a lot of things that his year. It depends on how well it is contained. Impacted will be gyms, theaters, malls, restaurants, sporting events, etc. They’re even talking about the possibility of canceling the Olympics.  For now, it’s speculation, the number of deaths is lower than the flu, but the rate is 20x higher. 

27 minutes ago, ibexpercussion said:

If you are interested in statistics, take the last 2 year percentage  increase/decrease in those two things and project it 2 years into the future and get back to us.  

• Thanks 1

I guess putting out statistics and numbers, everyone just created their own narrative about what the numbers were saying. I posted the numbers just as a point of reference, with no bias one way or the other. They were literally put there as stats. Nothing more. Nothing less. But by all means, go ahead and assume what I meant, and reacting to the post.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Crownie01 said:

Flu deaths are preventable with vaccines. There’s no vaccine against corona virus, and the death count keeps going up. 

This is not corroborated with reputable data.  This is as of yesterday, the numbers peaked on Feb 15 and new case and death counts are arriving at a decreasing rate.

I don't have the reference at the moment, but I was at Holiday Inn last night and Google is my friend, too.  Plus, well, people who have other people's money on the line.

PM me if you want the links but, better, just go look.