Coronavirus

1 minute ago, garfield said:

Sorry... one more thought and then I'll quit...

So, what if...  (those of you who know my profession know the importance of those words in my nomenclature).

This crazy virus comes screaming into the US and turns the entire country into vacant wastelands like either-US-coast's Chinatown.  The tour is cancelled, a show is planned for later, energy shifts to rebound in 2021, ALL corps are forced to cease and disband for the 2020 tour.  Then...

Blue Devils still win

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, skevinp said:

An ad just popped up to interfere with my DCP experience.  

It was for masks.  

Had that earlier too. At this point we don’t know but rather we plan ahead and hope the plans never have to be used.

As for flu vaccines, many different strains and govt guesses on what will be the big one for the season don’t always pan out. By age I’m in the group that should get one. But have a young doc (about half my age if that) and has told me not to get one the last two years as what was prescribed did not match what was cropping up in our area. Having lost my spouse to pneumonia know better than to down play any respiratory ailments but know better than to quick jump to conclusions 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Until drum corps starts serving fried bat, and live eel with fresh-kill dog as an appetizer, I'm not overly worried.

I know you were just having a little fun there, but for the record: it's highly unlikely that most people who have contracted the virus got it directly from the market where the outbreak seems to have originated.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ibexpercussion said:

FWIW: Per the Johns Hopkins Website...

COVID-19: Approximately 2,708 deaths reported worldwide; 0 deaths in the U.S., as of Feb. 25, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

These are true facts worth bearing in mind.

On the other hand, the mortality rate for seasonal flu is about 0.1%.

The mortality rate for the new coronavirus seems to be rather higher than that.

The Acting Secretary of Homeland Security, Chad Wolf, yesterday testified to the Senate that the mortality rate for COVID-19 is 2%.

That would mean that one in fifty people who contract the disease will die.

Suppose that the coronavirus infects one in five people, which is about how many the H1N1 swine flu (with a low mortality rate) infected in 2009-10.

There are 327 million Americans. If 20% are infected, that's 6,450,000. If the mortality rate is 2%...

...then 1.2 million Americans would lose their lives.

Fortunately, perhaps, Secretary Wolf was not very confident about the mortality rate.

(And he also said that the mortality rate for seasonal flu is 2%, or about 200 times higher than it is. He may have been thinking of the 1918 Spanish Flu?)

And we don't yet know what the infection rate will be.

It's also worth noting new reporting that indicates that test for Coronavirus isn't very accurate.

Here's an article that may be of interest to people: So What Should I Do About Coronavirus Now? In it, an expert on the subject advises that people take this opportunity to do the emergency preparations that they should do anyway, but says that she doesn't yet see a need for people to cancel their upcoming plans.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

It’s too soon to know for sure but there’s definitely reason to be concerned. And if the CDC is saying to prepare for it being potentially “bad” then I think it’s something to take note of.

This thing is still showing a mortality rate of 2-5%. Influenza tends to run around .02% That difference is why governments are going to extremes to limit outbreaks. Imagine if it were to play out to influenza level infection rates? (For reference, the CDC is estimating   29-41 million cases in the US this season). If it were to start making a presence here, I can totally see it affecting activities like DCI. Hopefully not, though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, garfield said:

What I hear?  60 days.  From now.  I heard, live, the head of research of JNJ say 90 days from first test to scale for 300-million doses.  I heard and saw him say it.  Moderno, a biotech, submitted the vaccine for FDA approval YESTERDAY, less than 30 days from start.  Will it pass trials?  Who knows... but...

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, today said that the first trials will start in 45-60 days but also: "In order to get a vaccine that's practically deployable... it's going to be at least a year to a year and a half, at best."

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Let me just say this. A few years ago a close cousin of mine from San Diego died of influenza...you know the flu. She was healthy active person in her 40s. We were shocked that a person so young died from the flu. Am I concerned about covid 19..of course but the year my cousin died over 12,000 people in the US died from the flu. 

Edited by DFA1970

9 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Let me just say this. A few years ago a close cousin of mine from San Diego died of influenza...you know the flu. She was healthy active person in her 40s. We were shocked that a person so young died from the flu. Am I concerned about covid 19..of course but the year my cousin died over 12,000 people in the US died from the flu. 

Yeah a friend of mine, age 53, died of the flu in Oklahoma two years ago. It was just so shocking.

34 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, today said that the first trials will start in 45-60 days but also: "In order to get a vaccine that's practically deployable... it's going to be at least a year to a year and a half, at best."

Also this afternoon the Director of Health and Human Services, Alex Azar, told Congress that if a vaccine for COVID-19 does become available, it's quite possible that not everyone will be able to afford it.

So start saving up now.